• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun advice

My sister in law and her momma use 410 mossberg 500’s with 18 inch barrel and pistol grips. Actually one’s got a barrel that’s a rail and was once longer and cut down to around 19.5 inches. They paid around $275-350 each, one was used and one was new. Very manageable for her mom, whose 75 years old, and she’s a wicked shot with it eliminating all the squirrels in her neighborhood :clap2:

Is she absolutely positively dead set on a shotgun? Perhaps a pistol caliber carbine or rifle caliber pistol would be a better choice? Not trying to criticize her or your choice, just suggesting there are other options out there, that’s all.

56A4718C-B619-4F5E-ABCA-7E82DDF58AD6.jpeg
after much research and second guessing I recently bought my daughter one of these little 20 gauge Mossbergs for graduation, in waterfowl. They are 5+1 and light as a feather... “500 youth super bantam.” with the stock spacer in it is large enough for most females.

For a first shotgun, I recommend a pump over a semi.

Teach with the lightest birdshot loads you can find. #3 Buckshot is the 20 gauge defense load but it kicks too much out of a lightweight 20 gauge for training.

Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. 12 gauge 18.5 inch barrel, Opsol mini-clip, and a tube full if 1 3/4 inch shells. I prefer the buckshot.

"I'm thinking a 20-gauge gas operated semi auto shotgun,
probably with a compact or "youth model" stock with about a 12.5 inch length of pull,"

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^
Or even a 28 gauge. Either, set up with an 18.5 inch barrel and extended magazine. My choice would be an older Remington 1100 in good working condition - pretty doesn't matter. Probably not in her budget range particularly the 28 gauge, but all she would have to do would be point it and pull the trigger.

My pump action 20-gauge kicks uncomfortably hard for some women and even teenage boys that you would think are big and tough enough to handle the recoil.
This has been true even with a low-brass load of small bird shot-- not even a proper defensive round.

That's why I suggested a semi auto, and specifically gas operated
because they are supposed to have a softer recoil impulse .

If this lady wants to come up to Cumming or Alpharetta and meet me at a local range, I'll let her shoot my Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20 gauge and we can see how she deals with it.

My pump action 20-gauge kicks uncomfortably hard for some women and even teenage boys that you would think are big and tough enough to handle the recoil.
This has been true even with a low-brass load of small bird shot-- not even a proper defensive round.

That's why I suggested a semi auto, and specifically gas operated
because they are supposed to have a softer recoil impulse .

If this lady wants to come up to Cumming or Alpharetta and meet me at a local range, I'll let her shoot my Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20 gauge and we can see how she deals with it.

Yes, I too saw the picture and am wide open if she would like to meet with me. For any reason.

All good questions.
She is in decent shape, not a fitness nut, but rides horses, so decently athletic.
She owns two handguns, and has shot, but by no means an expert.
Budget? $500ish.
Stoeger M3000 freedom. 7+1 semi auto. Eats anything I put thru, literally Benelli clone for $500 new. Best shotgun I ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom