• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

Three comments:

1- All of the guns shot pretty tight patterns, and shotgun "C" did measurablyvtighter groups than "B" despite both being cylinder bore (zero construction).

2- my 12" barreled sawed off shotty also gave much tighter pattern than the "conventional wisdom" or "rule of thumb" that said 1 inch of pattern spread per yard of distance to the target .

3-- If I want a shotgun for home defense, I expect a 10-yard shot at the longest.
More likely 3 or 5 yards.
I WANT a lot of spread at 10 yards.
I wish I could count on 1.5" of spread per yard of range.

Maybe if I were shooting small buckshot (#2 maybe) through a rifles slug barrel, I'd get that spread that would cover a bad guy's chest from nipple to nipple at typical H.D. distances.

Three comments:

1- All of the guns shot pretty tight patterns, and shotgun "C" did measurablyvtighter groups than "B" despite both being cylinder bore (zero construction).

2- my 12" barreled sawed off shotty also gave much tighter pattern than the "conventional wisdom" or "rule of thumb" that said 1 inch of pattern spread per yard of distance to the target .

3-- If I want a shotgun for home defense, I expect a 10-yard shot at the longest.

Maybe if I were shooting small buckshot (#2 maybe) through a rifles slug barrel, I'd get that spread that would cover a bad guy's chest from nipple to nipple at typical H.D. distances.
You need a blunderbuss

Aaahhh, now you changed the scenario on me and we ain't talking traditional home defense. A tool for every task!
images1.dvor.com_758_205_ffffff_opplanet_dvor_1580_weapon_accessories_large.jpg

Disregard the face, look at center mass. How many 9mm rounds just went into that guy with one shot?View attachment 1242530
No question of stopping power, but don't miss. That second shot is going to take a while to get off with any accuracy.

Also, what was the distance? Much more than typical HD ranges.

Three comments:

I'm the opposite.......I want the pattern as tight as I can possibly get it. I do not want stray pellets, and I want all 9 pellets to strike to the desired target area.

No question of stopping power, but don't miss. That second shot is going to take a while to get off with any accuracy.

Also, what was the distance? Much more than typical HD ranges.

I can fire a pump shotgun pretty fast. The closer you are the tighter the pattern. So all the bullets still go in and go in faster. Guy has a vest on? I could put half that pattern on his head + neck area.
Image was stole from Lucky Gunner. There is an article similar to this post.

I'm the opposite.......I want the pattern as tight as I can possibly get it. I do not want stray pellets, and I want all 9 pellets to strike to the desired target area.
I know a way to get a perfect pattern with no spread at all as far out as you want. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom