• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

You should take one of his shotgun classes, then you will change your mind. Only SBR I would run in my house would be my 9mm Suppressed. My shotgun is still my first choice though and highly doubt there would a need to reload, most perps would try to bug out after the first shot (if they are still standing)
Oh, I can run a shotgun well, I just don't think they are a great choice in most situations due to the limitations I have mentioned.

The only reaction I want to depend on from a bad guy in a self defense situation is that they die when properly engaged. Nothing else is reliably predictable.

I know it's silly to reference a movie, but in this case it's a good example of what I'm talking about.

In the movie John Wick 2, there is a scene in which he transitions through all three primary weapons. Handgun, carbine and shotgun. It's quite obvious that the rate of fire and speed at which he has to engage targets radically slows during the time he is using the shotgun. I thought it was very polite of the bad guys to slow down like that for him. LOL!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_and_ball

images-3.jpg

This subject comes up occasionally with all the usual excuses to not use a shotgun. For those detractors that feel a carbine is better, I propose a little challenge.

Meet me on the range with your rifle and self defense load of choice. I'll bring my shotgun with buckshot.

We'll set up three targets at various distances from 3 to 15 yards. The longest shot in my house is 18 yards so that will address the distance question.

The rules are simple, each shooter has to put a minimum of six projectiles on target. I'll even start with my shotgun loaded with two rounds in the mag, chamber empty to address the reload question.

This will be videoed and uploaded for all to see. All shots will be performed on the clock. This will be a stand and deliver type scenario with no movement as this is a test of the efficiency of the various systems, not a foot race.

cmshoot cmshoot , would you be willing to operate as a RO and run the timer?

This subject comes up occasionally with all the usual excuses to not use a shotgun. For those detractors that feel a carbine is better, I propose a little challenge.

Meet me on the range with your rifle and self defense load of choice. I'll bring my shotgun with buckshot.

We'll set up three targets at various distances from 3 to 15 yards. The longest shot in my house is 18 yards so that will address the distance question.

The rules are simple, each shooter has to put a minimum of six projectiles on target. I'll even start with my shotgun loaded with two rounds in the mag, chamber empty to address the reload question.

This will be videoed and uploaded for all to see. All shots will be performed on the clock. This will be a stand and deliver type scenario with no movement as this is a test of the efficiency of the various systems, not a foot race.

cmshoot cmshoot , would you be willing to operate as a RO and run the timer?
So, it takes six rounds to stop a bad guy? :pound:

How about a couple of variations to that:

Same deal, but one round each in the "A" zone with me using a 5.56.

5.56 not a powerful enough round for you? Okay, how about the same deal with a 308?

And just for comparison of real capability, make it ten targets and both of us will have full loads in our weapon.

So, it takes six rounds to stop a bad guy? :pound:

How about a couple of variations to that:

Same deal, but one round each in the "A" zone with me using a 5.56.

5.56 not a powerful enough round for you? Okay, how about the same deal with a 308?

And just for comparison of real capability, make it ten targets and both of us will have full loads in our weapon.

Provide me with empirical data of the percentage of one shot stops with 5.56 or .308. Please provide your sources and specifics to the ammo used.

Ten targets? No. This is supposed to be a comparison of a home defense platform, not weighted in your favor. Tell you what, you shoot two rounds each, IDPA target, only -0 hits count, I'll take out the reload.

None of these "tests" prove anything, other than an individual's personal ability with their personal weapons.

Shotguns, carbines, SBR's, and handguns are all valid HD weapons, each with their own pros and cons. There are specific instances where one system is superior to another. There are times when an SBR or SBS are too long and a handgun works better. I had it happen to me while clearing a building in my street cop days.

Anyone that says one system is always superior to another is not looking at the bigger picture, or is close-minded.

Back
Top Bottom