• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

Honestly, I can run 2-4 rounds out of my Remington 870 as fast as most folks can run 2-4 out of their SBR. That's all rounds with accuracy, all to the desired target area. I can run my Benelli M1 Super 90 even faster. I can empty the Benelli fast enough to fire the last round before the first hull hits the ground, with accuracy.

Yes, I can run my M4's faster than I can my shotgun, but I'm more concerned with how fast I can get the FIRST round on target, rather than how fast I can dump 5-6. When it comes to first round fired, for me it's a tie with the Rem870, Benelli, or M4.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the shotgun for HD. It's a good choice, but not the best for everyone.

If you already have a carbine or SBR setup that you prefer to run, then there's no reason to swap to a shotgun.

Conversely, if you're already using a shotgun with a proper load, there's no reason to switch to a carbine or SBR.

Can't really equate a 00 buck pellet with a 9mm handgun round. While similar in diameter (.32" for 00 buck vs .355" for 9mm), there is big difference in weight; approximately 54grns for a 00 buck pellet vs 115-147grns for the most commonly used 9mm bullets. Additionally, there can be quite a difference in velocity, depending on what shotgun load you're using; anywhere from about 1,000fps up to 1450fps or so.

I can fire a pump shotgun pretty fast. The closer you are the tighter the pattern. So all the bullets still go in and go it faster. Guy has a vest on? I could put half that pattern on his head + neck area.
Image was stole from Lucky Gunner. There is an article similar to this post.
Speed is a matter of recoil recovery and again, there isn't going to be a pattern at typical HD ranges.

There are folks out there that can absolutely smoke a shotgun. I saw Eric Lund outrun the action on a semi auto one time while shooting individual targets. Absolutely amazing speed. All you have to do is shoot a few hundred thousand rounds and you can be proficient with a shotgun, too. :boink:

Speed is a matter of recoil recovery and again, there isn't going to be a pattern at typical HD ranges.

There are folks out there that can absolutely smoke a shotgun. I saw Eric Lund outrun the action on a semi auto one time while shooting individual targets. Absolutely amazing speed. All you have to do is shoot a few hundred thousand rounds and you can be proficient with a shotgun, too. :boink:

Like with any weapon system, perfect practice makes perfect! Erik Lund is definitely not the average shotgunner!

I've run a shotgun pretty religiously since 1990 or so, especially the Remington 870, Benelli M1/M2, and Ithaca 37. Running a pump shotgun well is a more difficult skill than running say an AR or AK. This means more practice to become proficient. Kinda like having the skills to run a revolver well vs running a Glock well.

IMG_5880.PNG
I know a way to get a perfect pattern with no spread at all as far out as you want. :becky:

Me too.

Here's a pump action "home defense shot'n gun" in .30 caliber.
Throws a .308 pellet at 2600 fps and is accurate to a few hundred meters.
No stray pellets, no wide patters, with the Remington 760/ 7600.

I'm not gonna try to change anyone's mind on the shotgun. One of my longtime students contacted me about combat shotguns last year. I know how well he can run an M4, and he has several in both 16" and SBR variations. He asked me to convince him why he should add a shotgun to his "arsenal" for HD. I told him with no hesitation that I didn't have an argument for him; if he didn't want a combat/HD shotgun, he didn't need one. He had his HD angle well covered with his M4's.

There are those of us that like a shotgun, however, especially the versatility when it comes to ammunition (really, that's the shotgun's strongest feature).

I'm not gonna try to change anyone's mind on the shotgun. One of my longtime students contacted me about combat shotguns last year. I know how well he can run an M4, and he has several in both 16" and SBR variations. He asked me to convince him why he should add a shotgun to his "arsenal" for HD. I told him with no hesitation that I didn't have an argument for him; if he didn't want a combat/HD shotgun, he didn't need one. He had his HD angle well covered with his M4's.

There are those of us that like a shotgun, however, especially the versatility when it comes to ammunition (really, that's the shotgun's strongest feature). I used a 20" USMC-issue Remington 870, loaded with Winchester 00 buck, in my first gunfight and I've had a liking for them every since. Of course, I run AR's and AK's very well also.
I'll offer one other positive about shotguns for HD. You can get reliable pump actions at a very reasonable price.

View attachment 1242587

Me too.

Here's a pump action "home defense shot'n gun" in .30 caliber.
Throws a .308 pellet at 2600 fps and is accurate to a few hundred meters.
No stray pellets, no wide patters, with the Remington 760/ 7600.
If you live in the city, Your neighbor can recover your bullet for you from the back of his minivan.

You should take one of his shotgun classes, then you will change your mind. Only SBR I would run in my house would be my 9mm Suppressed. My shotgun is still my first choice though and highly doubt there would a need to reload, most perps would try to bug out after the first shot (if they are still standing)

Back
Top Bottom