• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shotshell Reloading.......

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Just wondering if many folks here reload shotshells....

The Lee load all sure looks like a cost-effective machine.

Just wondering if many people think it is a good area of reloading to get into.

I don't see it mentioned much.

I've loaded many hundreds of 12 & 20 ga shells on my Lee Load Alls. For the Money you won't beat them. Now if you can pickup a MEC reasonible, and from time to time they are on here, those are good Machines.

pretty much always been true if you look at just the $$.

for the $$ you spend though if you use quality parts then you get better ammo.

You have to make smart component purchases to save any money. But I truly believe you get better quality ammo. I have a 12 gauge. Mec 9000 progressive loader for sale if interested. Only because I upgraded.

I mostly reload 410 shot shells. You can save money loading them since AA's are running $10 and up per box. I shoot sporting clays and used to shoot a LOT of 410 and 28 ga. So there was a big savings reloading them.

It's hard to save much loading 12 and 20 ga. Unless you are looking to load specelity loads or you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds a month. It's really not worth the investment for loading 12 and 20's.

And if you are going to mass produce, then the MEC 9000G is the machine of choice.

The savings is absolutely there if you buy your components in bulk. Many gun clubs can order components for their members at dealer cost. I have purchased large quantities of reclaimed shot for less than $30 dollars for a 25 lb. bag. I load 7/8 oz and 1 oz for 12 gauge at less than $4 a box.

In regards to shotgun shell quality, you can duplicate the premium ammo (normally $8-10/box) for less than $5/box. For skeet, quality is not as important as all the shots are relatively close. However, with trap and some sporting clays, quality ammo is quite important as the shots are longer and require better shot patterns (than most cheap ammo) for optimum performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom