• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shotshell Reloading.......

Help us out with the economics ... Every time I have looked into Shotgun Shell Reloading, I have found that the savings were just not there.
Has this changed?
Clark123, I finally did some calculations. Just buying from reasonable sources (not looking for sales), I can load a premium shell for about $5/bx. This assumes you already have the hulls and you've amortized your loader. If you can catch powder/primer/wads on sale and use reclaimed shot, you can probably get costs down to under $4/bx.

Of course, I don't have many choices. I shoot 16ga & 28ga and both of these will cost you $$$ for decent shells (assuming you can find them in the loads you want. The last "cheap" 16ga shells I bought were Remington Game loads (really crappy shells IMHO) and I paid $5.99/bx on sale about 5 years ago. The last deal I found on 28ga were Fiocchi (not my top choice) and I paid $6.50/bx incl shipping about 7 yrs ago.

That said, my $5/bx loads are using hardened shot and premium wads. Easily the equivalent of $10-12/bx loads if I could find them. The added advantage, as I see it, is the ability to craft loads that aren't commercially loaded. As an example, I'm getting ready to load some 3/4oz loads for my 16ga to shoot clays with. A bit less expensive, plus a lighter kick.

I've got a Mec sizemaster and I've loaded tens of thousands of shells with it since i was a teenager. Use to be at the range every weekend for most of the day. Anyways, before the price hike on all the supplies it was really worth reloading. Now the savings are a lot less. I don't load much anymore except for a few boxes each dove season.

Coming in a bit late on this thread but I have to agree with those that shoot a lot of skeet or trap - the real economy of reloading is in the volume. For occasional bird hunting or the odd round of skeet, sporting clays or trap I would say buy factory loads.

That being said, I once shot a lot of competition skeet but not anymore. My Pacific DL366 (now Hornady) 12 gauge reloader has sat on my bench in the basement unused for the past 20 or more years - I even have some AA wads, a couple of hundred Federal primers, powder and a 25lb. bag of Lawrence #9 shot down there as well (the bag of shot keeps my portable dehumidifier from vibrating :tongue:).

I think all of this stuff needs to go to a good home, so if any of you reading this thread knows of someone who does 12 ga. reloading or wants to start, have them drop me a PM and I will be happy to make them a good deal on my reloading setup and supplies. Thanks for reading and keep the wood on the wood. TR

Back
Top Bottom