• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should Listings Be Required To Have A Price?

Should All Listings Be Required To Have A Price Or Trade Value?

• Yes! They should have to have a price!

Votes: 95 71.4%
  • No, if they want to hear offers that is fine.

Votes: 38 28.6%

• Total voters
I agree why have a rule you do not need. If someone does not post a price they will be asked. People will figure out that taking offers is not the way to go. I vote less rules.

I think I'm in agreement with CCW.

If it's for sale put a sale price on it. I dislike the fact that people are going to look at your price and immediately try to knock 20-25% off their offer. If I list the price, then when you offer less and I say no, get over it. On the other hand, now if I list a price I have to bump it up to make up for the cut throat lowballers so now the item is OVER priced and scares away the genuinely interested. Catch 22. Think I'ma have to reject cheap a$$es rather than scare away honest offers.

As for trade, price should be optional. If I know what I want, why should I be required to put a dollar figure that means nothing on it. If I want to trade a Hi-point 9mm for a decked out AR15 then the "price" of my 9mm is 1..AR15. If you think your AR is worth a million dollars but you would trade it for my Hi-point then my Hi-point is worth a million dollars. the dollar figure is meaningless in a trade.

Make offer is an auction. Period. If you get offers in the thread it is a public auction where people try to outbid each other. If the offers are in PM it is a sealed bid auction where the seller can arbitrarily pop into the thread and announce that he has received some random offer to try to goose the other interested parties. Either way it is an auction and, I believe, not accepted here.

The poll doesn't have "Both. sales need prices but trades do not" as an option so I have to vote "Yes" since I disagree with the "Make offer" option. Now a "Price: $XXX OBO" option seems fine to me, just not a blanket "make offer".

Last edited:
The only one hurt if someone does not post a price, is the seller. Unless you are someone that gets your feelings hurt over what someone else does to themselves.
How an ad is promoted should be the owner's decision.

I think I'm in agreement with CCW.

If it's for sale put a sale price on it. I dislike the fact that people are going to look at your price and immediately try to knock 20-25% off their offer. If I list the price, then when you offer less and I say no, get over it. On the other hand, now if I list a price I have to bump it up to make up for the cut throat lowballers so now the item is OVER priced and scares away the genuinely interested. Catch 22. Think I'ma have to reject cheap a$$es rather than scare away honest offers.

As for trade, price should be optional. If I know what I want, why should I be required to put a dollar figure that means nothing on it. If I want to trade a Hi-point 9mm for a decked out AR15 then the "price" of my 9mm is 1..AR15. If you think your AR is worth a million dollars but you would trade it for my Hi-point then my Hi-point is worth a million dollars. the dollar figure is meaningless in a trade.

Make offer is an auction. Period. If you get offers in the thread it is a public auction where people try to outbid each other. If the offers are in PM it is a sealed bid auction where the seller can arbitrarily pop into the thread and announce that he has received some random offer to try to goose the other interested parties. Either way it is an auction and, I believe, not accepted here.

The poll doesn't have "Both. sales need prices but trades do not" as an option so I have to vote "Yes" since I disagree with the "Make offer" option. Now a "Price: $XXX OBO" option seems fine to me, just not a blanket "make offer".

I think I'm with ccw & mdog on this one!

Back
Top Bottom