• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should Listings Be Required To Have A Price?

Should All Listings Be Required To Have A Price Or Trade Value?

• Yes! They should have to have a price!

Votes: 95 71.4%
  • No, if they want to hear offers that is fine.

Votes: 38 28.6%

• Total voters
I think that a few rules are good to have- who knew we needed one against threats in PMs, for example? I was personally shocked that this was necessary.
As for needing a price, I prefer it. It is at least a starting point. I spend a lot of time on ODT, and I don't want to have to scroll through 8 pages of one post to see if I am interested in something for sale. Based on what some people ask for their stuff, they aren't serious in selling it, so I'm not going to waste my time.
The mods don't necessarily have to do all of the policing, but the rest of us need to be able to state "you must post a price- it is the rule".

I personally skip the adds that have no price.
But I still think it should be up to the owner. What gives the rest of us that right to demand how an ad is promoted?
I don't like rules just for convience. Seems kinda communist to me.

Last edited:
I think that a few rules are good to have- who knew we needed one against threats in PMs, for example? I was personally shocked that this was necessary.
As for needing a price, I prefer it. It is at least a starting point. I spend a lot of time on ODT, and I don't want to have to scroll through 8 pages of one post to see if I am interested in something for sale. Based on what some people ask for their stuff, they aren't serious in selling it, so I'm not going to waste my time.
The mods don't necessarily have to do all of the policing, but the rest of us need to be able to state "you must post a price- it is the rule".

+1 a simple, tactful, reminder from anybody should suffice, if it's a rule.

What if a person has something they genuinely don't know the value? If they set a low price they screw themselves, if too high no one will respond. It has happened to me with an old barstool. E bay says 4,000+ but I don't know what to price it at. So for me the best way to promote the ad was to say "best offer" that should be MY choice.

Mitigating circumstances occifer ;)

For every rule there is an exception...except THAT rule...er...ummmm

Mitigating circumstances occifer ;)

For every rule there is an exception...except THAT rule...er...ummmm

That is why the owner should have the right to promote the add as they see fit. I know it turns off most buyers, including myself. Most of the time I will ask what the price is and if they want to post a price then great, if not it's their loss.

Well, just between you and me, if I had no idea of the approximate value of an item I would A: research it on several sites for comparable items selling, B: look for reputable pricing guides like Blue Book and then possibly C: open a thread in Firearms Chat and ask for opinions from my fine, upstanding friends at the ODT. THEN I would determine if I wanted to sell it for the suggested prices or attempt to get a different price and list it accordingly. But that's just me.

I consider ads like CDNN's "CALL FOR PRICE" and "PRICE TOO LOW TO PRINT" to be simply "BAIT FOR DUMMIES". If the price was soooo good they would print it in bold so you would RUN to buy it. If there's a real reason for not listing a price then it's understandable, if not then it's probably an advertising ploy like "Deal of the day", "RARE", and "One of a KIND". Can you do it? SURE. Does it make you a schyster, hustler and snake oil salesman? It does in my opinion. But then we all know about opinions... ;)

Back
Top Bottom