• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

Should people seek training if they are going to carry a handgun?

• Total voters
I say yes. You're carrying a gun to save your life. What good is it if you haven't learned a decent level of proficiency. Pistols are merely tools, your mind is the weapon.

I know I have weighed in already and I can't really add to DTK or Monte's posts, but I would like to point out one fine point.

There is a huge difference between "should" and "shall"

Should = it's a good idea
Examples: We should buy some more ammo. We should go to the movies. We should get defensive training

Shall = you don't have a choice
Examples: Prior to being issued a Concealed Carry Permit in the State of SC, the applicant shall complete the NRA Pistol Safety Training. If you want dessert, you shall eat all your vegetables.

See the difference?

I know I have weighed in already and I can't really add to DTK or Monte's posts, but I would like to point out one fine point.

There is a huge difference between "should" and "shall"

Should = it's a good idea
Examples: We should buy some more ammo. We should go to the movies. We should get defensive training

Shall = you don't have a choice
Examples: Prior to being issued a Concealed Carry Permit in the State of SC, the applicant shall complete the NRA Pistol Safety Training. If you want dessert, you shall eat all your vegetables.

See the difference?

The OP was pretty clear in his first post that he meant "should" and not "shall" and that comments regarding the constitution were completely, 100% irrelevant to the topic.

I'm more worried about driver training.

People use their vehicles as weapons and put my life in danger almost daily......guns?.....not so much.

I think people need to make themselves proficient in proper use and safe handling of their weapons, but to get the government involved with a rubber stamp of approval.....HELL NO!

Back
Top Bottom