• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

I think the safety manipulation is the new cool thing for videos. I see a few guys do a quick pewpewpewpew engagement and then quickly flip the safety back on. Like lightning fast return to safe, while still in a firing position. It's cool guy stuff, IMO, like he look left look right "break up the tunnel vision" thing.

It's not that it isn't worth training, but making it guccicool for your video is for viewer numbers, not for proper training.

The story of the safety on the G3- the german soldaten supposedly said that they were trained to turn flip the safety to fire when leaving Germany and return it to safe upon return to der fatherland.

He brought this topic up in class. I disagreed and was trying to get his reason why he defaulted to speaking from a position of authority and tossing insults. He is a very nice guy and I do recommend taking a class from him. Just like every instructor you are not going to agree with everything they say and do but while your in their class just do it their way while you are there. Thats what you are paying them for their opinion and expertise.

What I don't like about the video and he did this in class is it started with using a safety during a mag change then switched it to if you are still in the opinion of not using your safety at all. Two different topics he tries to make into one. Just my take on it I could be wrong

I think the safety manipulation is the new cool thing for videos. I see a few guys do a quick pewpewpewpew engagement and then quickly flip the safety back on. Like lightning fast return to safe, while still in a firing position. It's cool guy stuff, IMO, like he look left look right "break up the tunnel vision" thing.

It's not that it isn't worth training, but making it guccicool for your video is for viewer numbers, not for proper training.

The story of the safety on the G3- the german soldaten supposedly said that they were trained to turn flip the safety to fire when leaving Germany and return it to safe upon return to der fatherland.
;)

A saftey nearly got me killed one time in a combat situation. I don't like them. I'd rather see training in muzzle awareness and when you really need to use a safety. Like when you are low crawling through brush or flinging a firearm around to access a secondary.

I do have a story to tell about safeties though.

In Iraq in 04 while working with ODA 515 we had some drivers we aquisitioned from 2nd ACR. A E-2 private was driving my vehicle while I was in the turret. We were outside of a small village getting ready to search it for one of Muqtada Al Sadrs second in command. The private decided to stick his barrel out the window with the weapon on full and he accidentally hung his trigger on his LBE and unloaded half a magazine into the desert. That would have been a good use of a safety. ODA captain ripped that kid a new one but our mission was successful regardless. Needless to say we got a new driver.

A saftey nearly got me killed one time in a combat situation. I don't like them. I'd rather see training in muzzle awareness and when you really need to use a safety. Like when you are low crawling through brush or flinging a firearm around to access a secondary.

I do have a story to tell about safeties though.

In Iraq in 04 while working with ODA 515 we had some drivers we aquisitioned from 2nd ACR. A E-2 private was driving my vehicle while I was in the turret. We were outside of a small village getting ready to search it for one of Muqtada Al Sadrs second in command. The private decided to stick his barrel out the window with the weapon on full and he accidentally hung his trigger on his LBE and unloaded half a magazine into the desert. That would have been a good use of a safety. ODA captain ripped that kid a new one but our mission was successful regardless. Needless to say we got a new driver.

Recon by fire?

Pat McNamara thinks so, but I disagree.

I don’t put it on “safe” during a reload, but I do put it on “safe” when letting it hang, or transitioning to my Secondary.

I don’t understand his thought process that if someone doesn’t put it on “safe” during reload, then they won’t put it on “safe” when it’s hanging. Those are 2 different tasks and handled differently. That’s how I’ve done it for 30 years and I have never slung a weapon without placing it on “safe”.

I’ve been teaching my students this for 20 years, again with no issues. I explain both sides of the argument, state that I do not use the “safety” during reloads, but allow my students to do so if that makes them comfortable.

I don't get the argument he puts out about operating behind your partner, either. My partner should not be pointing his carbine at me at any time; loaded or unloaded, on "safe" or on "fire". If he is not pointing the weapon at me, then I don't care what state he has it in.

I’m not saying he is wrong, it is purely a difference in techniques. I will say that I also don't agree with the "my way or the highway" mentality, but I see that a lot at different places.

A friend of mine has taught classes with Pat McNamara and does not agree with this stance of his. He asked McNamara why he isn't worried about reloads without a safety on his Glock or 1911, and the answer was, "Do it because it’s there". That's as big a non-answer as my Dad telling me to, "Do it because I said so!"

What's y'all's thoughts?

Here is the article with McNamara's side of the argument: https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/1...yPSTTxzQQhDusamvgq5RWG5ysjIJLKfmZwvKANFXYKc2k
I think if the even the thought of a threat or engagement is present I am on "F". No doubt. However, even with my pistols, I always keep my finger behind the trigger. Don't know where I picked this up but it is engrained into my discipline.

Im not an operator (or even a mall ninja) but i do safety mine after i finish shooting, handling, laying down the gun, or any other situation with or without ammo in it....but safety one while i do mag changes onthe line? No...i dont do that.

If i have a hand on it/actively in the process of firing then i see no reason to safety during mag changes.

As far as Mcnamara’s situation about using cover to replace a mag.....
If someone cant go around my back and keep the bbl pointed to the dirt, then i dont trust them behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom