• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF preparedness

yeah ...its funny because everyone thinks if they have 20 guns they are in good standing ...

all i have is

Mossberg 500
custom long range 308 rig (built off a Mauser action )
lightweight savage 223 with a 6-24 power scope ( for general purpose stuff)
and of course a good little Remington 597 .22
and then i will soon be getting some type of polymer 9mm

i have nearly a thousand rounds of each caliber
i mean what good is a gun if you cant feed it ...

i am on a 12 acre wedge in the middle of no where
and we raise chickens and rabbits for food
we have about 6 aces of able-to-plant land
and a pond stocked with fish
the entire 12 acres is fenced in once with barbed wire and then again with electrified cattle fence

so if the proverbial s*** does ever hits the hypothetical fan ...you real nice folks i have talked with and traded with on here can come down here and help set up a compound lol

Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm not concerned with this as I'm not paranoid. Besides, I'm on a phone registered to a job that is miles from my home. Besides, I would venture to say that 90% of the guys on here are southern gentlemen regardless. As far as the group survival goes, 3 independently operating groups of 10-12 will work out fine, as both singular groups or a whole.

I am glad that everyone on here is letting everyone else know what they have. I am not a skeptic but with how easy it is to read peoples IP address and get peoples physical address nowadays I wont take a chance on it. I am all about being prepared. I am still constantly working on my survival boxes. I think that a survival box should be something that is waterproof and can float. Needs to have wheels on it too. If gas runs out you wont be able to push a car around. If power goes out you cant charge up your golf cart. Food with a shelf life of over a year. I have found through training that its not necessarily the skills of one in a survival game but of a community. If you have 8-10 people you can rely on and trust to assist you in sustaining life it will make it alot easier. You can task work alot easier. Finding a place with a renewable water resource close by is crucial. We all know the old saying about living without food vs. water. Anywho..

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother in law not long after marrying her daughter. She is HUGE on stockpiling canned foods and water and overall S.H.T.F preparedness. She was telling me how much stuff she had ready, and how long she could live on all this stuff she has packed away for Armageddon. She then looked at me and asked me if I was prepared for such a thing. I simply said "Yep". I thought that would be then end of it but she had to ask "Oh yeah, how is that?" I said "Well, when said time comes, I'm going to take my gun, walk over to your house and take everything you have saved for me." I think a light bulb went off in her head at that moment about the importance of owning weapons.

After the Sept 09 food in north GA that left us stranded on the property for 3 days (150 bridges in this area were out), couldn't get to or call the 74 year old Mother in Law who takes insulin, etc. I now keep a three day supply of MRE meals and Coast Guard bagged water in the house for my family (and fixed up the Mother in Law with 4 days meals and 5 days Coast Guard bagged water) and other emergency necessities in a crash box. Items like toilet kits , meds, emergency blankets, cash, credit cards, gun/ammo, rain gear, first aid kit, etc. All ready to grab and go. Also, chain saw is always tuned with fresh gas and spare gas/oil and plug. Had to cut our way off the property only to find out the bridges were out!

That's a good set up sharps.... Also very responsible thinking of your mother in law as well. Did you think of potable water tablets? Just in case the bagged water runs out or becomes a burden?

Water tabs, good idea. Specially for Mother in Law. I had figured we'd dip creek water to flush toilets and boil the rest. But yep, probably should add tabs or even a filter/pump.

"i have nearly a thousand rounds of each caliber
i mean what good is a gun if you cant feed it ...
i am on a 12 acre wedge in the middle of no where
and we raise chickens and rabbits for food
we have about 6 aces of able-to-plant land
and a pond stocked with fish
the entire 12 acres is fenced in once with barbed wire and then again with electrified cattle fence
so if the proverbial s*** does ever hits the hypothetical fan ...you real nice folks i have talked with and traded with on here can come down here and help set up a compound lol "

Im in about the same scenario "amarsh89" is in, only little north. AMF (as matter fact) my ancestors are from Hazelhurst. We have our re-unions there. Maybe i can have a northern compund....:) Im working on long term provsions now.

Back
Top Bottom