• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF preparedness

I've been following this thread and want to tell you that since 1987 the Militia of Georgia has been in operation, helping people prepare for virtually any kind of SHTF scenarios. In that length of time, the more senior members have proven the value of having things like Bug Out Bags, survival gear and having the ability to be self sufficient.

Personally, I know enough to tell you guys not to be listing the contents of your safe and your pantry unless you want Uncle Scam to come in and take it from you.

Being self sufficient will become a skill set everybody can benefit from. PM me if you get serious about your survival / preparedness mindset.

bottom line is among food and ammo and guns. is one thing are you willing to do whatever [WHATEVER] to stay alive and protect your family. do you have the stomach, and mind set , as for the bible or religious suggestion i agree,. and there is no question about it , it is coming

Couple of points for people who read this and want to prepare but kind of don't know where to get started. Most of us will encounter loss of power, natural type disasters before the SHTF--so preparation should not be a special occasion but a way of life. After the flood of 94 and Y2K hooplah, we stay at a certain level of preparedness all the time.

Start at the grocery store; basic survial: food and water. Set aside a few bucks for a few extras during your regular shopping. Rice; dry soups, pasta, beans. There are shelf stable meals with several years of shelf life in all grocery stores; pick up a few; see what you like, keep them in the pantry. Watch the date and keep them rotated. You have to be careful with canned goods...they don't last for long periods of time.
Find a big lots or fred's..you can pick up dry spices for pennies other dry foods for cheap. There are some canned meats that last a long time.
Get some water purification tablets; a few cans of sterno or similar fuel. Keep an extra tank of propane tucked away (again rotate) for the grill (or heater). Pick up generic tylenol, aspirin, anti-biotic cream, etc. Again, big lots, freds and similar stores are great for this. You can pick up "travel size" toiletries at wally world or kroger fairly inexpensively.
If you want to kick this up a notch, MREs are great and Mountain House has some great freeze dried foods that can last up to 25 years.
Don't forget tea/coffee/etc. Most of my planning includes assuming that there will be no power or power will be extremely limited. One thing everyone should have in their "kit" is a hand crank powered radio. batteries die. most hand crank radios have shortwave receiving capability as well. These can be picked up for about $50 or less.
Guns/defense have been covered pretty good. If you are a family, you may want to discuss before hand how much information (if any) you wish to divulge to freinds/neighbors, etc.
I hope we get a survival forum..lots of good information can be shared...

Last edited:
Billrube, you forgot to mention some of the more important things like water filters, your own seeds (and NOT hybrid seeds) and a stock of medical supplies for ongoing ailments.

There is no way to cover it all in threads on a general discussion forum. You can talk a bit about it on specialized forums like survivalist forums and militia forums, but face to face training is the key.

Didn't forget them, I was just trying to point out to people new that you can get started with preparations without breaking the bank...I like to try to get people involved and engaged...most "regular" folks get overwhelmed when faced with a huge list that looks expensive.
I just want people new to "preparing" to understand that 'survival' is a mindset. It's a never ending path...but basic food and water is a great way to start.
I hope we do get a forum....we need all the good information we can get.
I suspect that each of us will appreciate it in the near future.
Cheers!

Billrube, you forgot to mention some of the more important things like water filters, your own seeds (and NOT hybrid seeds) and a stock of medical supplies for ongoing ailments.

There is no way to cover it all in threads on a general discussion forum. You can talk a bit about it on specialized forums like survivalist forums and militia forums, but face to face training is the key.

Discovery in putting a new series on called "The Colony". They are sticking a bunch of folks at a
closed location and having them do what they would have to if the world collapsed. They are basing
it on a pandemic or something but the baice still apply. General breakdown of infrastructure and
social systems. Here is a link to the preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hv4ADUr-0E

Or this one

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/

It airs on Discovery starting July 27

Even though it is a reality show thing, there could be some useful information
on preparedness.

Last edited:
Discovery in putting a new series on called "The Colony". They are sticking a bunch of folks at a
closed location and having them do what they would have to if the world collapsed. They are basing
it on a pandemic or something but the baice still apply. General breakdown of infrastructure and
social systems. Here is a link to the preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hv4ADUr-0E

It airs on Discovery starting July 27

Even though it is a reality show thing, there could be some useful information
on preparedness.
This show ran a year or 2 ago as well. I saw the whole season, on the day of the finale. Pretty good show, they made some pretty sick stuff. I think the best was the wood fuel to run the generator

I am glad that everyone on here is letting everyone else know what they have. I am not a skeptic but with how easy it is to read peoples IP address and get peoples physical address nowadays I wont take a chance on it. I am all about being prepared. I am still constantly working on my survival boxes. I think that a survival box should be something that is waterproof and can float. Needs to have wheels on it too. If gas runs out you wont be able to push a car around. If power goes out you cant charge up your golf cart. Food with a shelf life of over a year. I have found through training that its not necessarily the skills of one in a survival game but of a community. If you have 8-10 people you can rely on and trust to assist you in sustaining life it will make it alot easier. You can task work alot easier. Finding a place with a renewable water resource close by is crucial. We all know the old saying about living without food vs. water. Anywho..

I believe that Goliath and delila would have something to say./ or mabe eat

Back
Top Bottom