• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF preparedness

Not really. We run little 2 way radios now, and everyone in the family can understand and speak Afrikaans. I doubt I'd have to worry about anyone deciphering it after SHTF, so no encryption needed. Mobility will be handled by my truck - it is old, but super easy to fix. Can also switch to horses, but I don't want to feed and keep them now - having enough trouble with the animals I do have!

We plan on bugging in - but can bug out at a moments' notice...but it has to be really bad for things to get to that point. The whole family, with the exception of the wife and kids, have seen some pretty bad times.

Even if you bug-in being able to reach out will be an advantage. Being able to listen to news from outside the local area (world band reciever) is a must.

FRS and GMRS are a start but the number of radios on the street means the bands will be ate up, at least untill the soccer moms run out of batteries.

CB will be somewhat usefull locally.

Ham radio takes you into a more reliable and effective kind of commo.

It's good to see that some of us are thinking about possible problems we may encounter in the future. Alot of my friends think that us survivalist are bunch of nut cases, but all I got to say is "When TSHTF, don't come running to us!" that is if you can find us!

Last edited:
It's good to see that some of us are thinking about possible problems we may encounter in the future. Alot of my friends think that us survivalist are bunch of nut cases, but all I got to say is "When TSHTF, don't come running to us!" that is if you can find us!

People think the same thing about survivalists as they do militia. And there are those who do things that are embarrassing to both survivalists and militia. The fact that there aren't more people involved in preparedness threads ought to tell you something.

There are a lot of people who are interested in survival and SHTF scenarios, but they don't share with others due to paranoia and / or the fear of Uncle Scam putting them on some kind of list.

And it is a trade - off: Lack of contacts will limit your survival possibilities while networking brings you to the attention of list collectors. AND, if all your contacts are limited to your immediate AO (area of operations like your home or neighborhood) then if it goes down while you are 200 miles from home, then you're SOL.

Yep..I know what ya mean! Being I work north of Atlanta and my home is 165 miles south in central Georgia, I'm planning on heading south after mid-night when traffic is lighter, that is if I think I can make it through. Load up my Harley with gear, with a shotgun on one side, an assault rifle on the other, a pistol on my side, put my body gear on and hope for the best. I've got several days worth of mre's, water, and a little extra fuel for the Harley just in case. Naturally, I've already got my bags packed with hopefully enough essentails to get my @$$ home...if all else fails and the roads are just totally impassible, I'll call my Doctor buddy with a airplane and see if he can do a touch & go at a small private airport, just minutes from my job! Once home, we'll be stationed at our 2500 acre hunting club/farm with hopefully everything to last us for a year or two with ease...we've been planning for a good many years for something...just pray we never see the day!

Last edited:
I am not prepared at all and need to start now to protect my family. Just picked up an AK47 & SKS and like the cheap ammo. Other than that I have nothing. I enjoy this thread and would love to keep it going. Any discussion groups ot classes? Weekend survival camps?

I am not prepared at all and need to start now to protect my family. Just picked up an AK47 & SKS and like the cheap ammo. Other than that I have nothing. I enjoy this thread and would love to keep it going. Any discussion groups ot classes? Weekend survival camps?

Check out an AK-74. Ammo is half price of 7.62, and more effective against flesh as well. Also 0 recoil, like shooting a BB gun.

Back
Top Bottom