• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sleep paralysis

As a Junior at UGA I was working crazy shifts at Kroger (late nights), taking classes all day and volunteering at the local community center in the projects. Tired doesn't describe that time. I was about to go to sleep, or so I thought, for a little nap before work. I was breathing slowly and trying to relax. I felt myself "lift" from the bed and the ceiling got closer and closer. As I neared the ceiling I turned and saw myself lying in bed with my eyes closed. I tried to scream but no sound. I tried to "swim back", but couldn't move my arms. At some point I woke up with a start, like you do when you are dreaming about falling, etc., except no one will ever convice me that I was dreaming. It felt too real. I was freaked and didn't sleep for a week after that and to this day will not take a midday nap. That was twenty-four years ago and the incident seems like it happened yesterday. I can even describe my room in great detail although I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast the day before yesterday.

As a Junior at UGA I was working crazy shifts at Kroger (late nights), taking classes all day and volunteering at the local community center in the projects. Tired doesn't describe that time. I was about to go to sleep, or so I thought, for a little nap before work. I was breathing slowly and trying to relax. I felt myself "lift" from the bed and the ceiling got closer and closer. As I neared the ceiling I turned and saw myself lying in bed with my eyes closed. I tried to scream but no sound. I tried to "swim back", but couldn't move my arms. At some point I woke up with a start, like you do when you are dreaming about falling, etc., except no one will ever convice me that I was dreaming. It felt too real. I was freaked and didn't sleep for a week after that and to this day will not take a midday nap. That was twenty-four years ago and the incident seems like it happened yesterday. I can even describe my room in great detail although I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast the day before yesterday.

I think you had a successful out of body experience. Thanks for sharing man.

I think the human brain is incredibly complex and small variations in normal chemistry, sleep patterns, drugs, damage, etc can cause incredibly vivid episodes of what is essentially your imagination working overtime. Think about it...real memories and sensations are created and stored in very close proximity to the parts of the brain where you can completely make stuff up and imagine stuff, right? So why is it hard to think that if these two areas ever get their wires crossed, one might experience something made up but perceive it as real?

Yeah, one night I am laying in bed and I look up to see something that looks like it is wearing the predator cloaking device. I cant ****ing move but I can speak. I looked at it and said. "I am going to kill you mother ****er." I was then able to move my right hand towards the .45 on my night stand as my hand touched my weapon. It ended and I was able to fully move. But what was odd was I didn't actually wake up I was already awake. With a .45 in my hand and nothing to shoot.

Last edited:
crazy ****... when i was a kid...i opened the backdoor during a very ferocious storm......i remember looking at myself down on the ground while i looked on from the porch with the screen door in my hand, then suddenly, i was on the ground getting up....i never felt any pain or discomfort....
strangely, it was like i was pulled out of myself...then the rest of me caught up...i think i was about 4 when this happened...

crazy ****... when i was a kid...i opened the backdoor during a very ferocious storm......i remember looking at myself down on the ground while i looked on from the porch with the screen door in my hand, then suddenly, i was on the ground getting up....i never felt any pain or discomfort....
strangely, it was like i was pulled out of myself...then the rest of me caught up...i think i was about 4 when this happened...

Well, we all know how reliable the memory of a 4 year old is, lol.

I think the human brain is incredibly complex and small variations in normal chemistry, sleep patterns, drugs, damage, etc can cause incredibly vivid episodes of what is essentially your imagination working overtime. Think about it...real memories and sensations are created and stored in very close proximity to the parts of the brain where you can completely make stuff up and imagine stuff, right? So why is it hard to think that if these two areas ever get their wires crossed, one might experience something made up but perceive it as real?

All I know is that we spend about 1/3 of our lives asleep and during that time we all dream, see things and go places and vaguely remember any of it all.

I for one have practiced the art of remembering these "dreams" and to be honest, I cannot begin to describe the magnificent joy you experience when you realize you're dreaming and have unlimited potential. I have enjoyed flying, breathing under water, no strings attached larger than life sex and you name it. lol

I don't think drugs or other anomalies are responsible for any of these experiences.

I can only imagine how man before advancements in technology, culture and civilization must have been bewildered by the content of their dreams.

Discuss.

www.wpclipart.com_hieroglyphs_Eye_of_Horus.png

Last edited:
Yeah, one night I am laying in bed and I look up to see something that looks like it is wearing the predator cloaking device. I cant ****ing move but I can speak. I looked at it and said. "I am going to kill you mother ****er." I was then able to move my right hand towards the .45 on my night stand as my hand touched my weapon. It ended and I was able to fully move. But what was odd was I didn't actually wake up I was already awake. With a .45 in my hand and nothing to shoot.

You sir met the "portal overlord" or as wow would have it two robed entities.

[Broken External Image]:

All I know is that we spend about 1/3 of our lives asleep and during that time we all dream, see things and go places and vaguely remember any of it all.

This is true. Many people do not remember their dreams or only vaguely remember them.

I for one have practiced the art of remembering these "dreams" and to be honest, I cannot begin to describe the magnificent joy you experience when you realize you're dreaming and have unlimited potential. I have enjoyed flying, breathing under water, no strings attached larger than life sex and you name it. lol

It is possible to train yourself to remember dreams and to even have lucid dreams. Then it is as you have described...you realize that you're dreaming and can control the content of your dreams.

I don't think drugs or other anomalies are responsible for any of these experiences.

Drugs can most definitely influence dreams. Check out some of the side effects of prednisone. I remember I had a real bad sinus infection one time and had to take prednisone to treat the inflammation. I also chose that night to start playing the Undead Nightmare add-on to Red Dead Redemption...zombies in the wild west. I had the most vivid, violent, realistic dreams about zombies that I've ever had in my life. Over the next several nights, I continued to have these violent and vivid dreams about all manner of horror movie fodder...aside from the zombies, there was a particularly interesting dream about the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park. On a related note, my son was being treated for an ear or throat infection of some kind and also got prednisone. He is not prone to having bad dreams, but the first night he was on them, he woke us up with his crying...upon entering his room, he appeared to be awake, but we could neither console him nor get him to respond to us. After about 5-10 minutes of just holding and talking to him, he eventually actually woke up and seemed fine.

And that's just a steroid...

I can only imagine how man before advancements in technology, culture and civilization must have been bewildered by the content of their dreams.

Absolutely. What's even more amazing is that modern man, with all our advancements, are still as eager to believe that it's demons or evil spirits as were our primitive ancestors.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I when out drinking with a friend, and then I woke up and a fat chic was on top of me, and I couldn't move. Then I had no memory of how I got there. Ha Ha

Back
Top Bottom