• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slide lock - why do you care?

When teaching (in Basic classes) I like to briefly discuss the advantages & disadvantages of all 3 techniques.

My feeling is that many people overthink this.
While my least favorite technique is the slingshot I feel knowing how you & your weapon perform while under heightened physical & metal stress is key.... along w/ owning all necessary stoppage drills are both more important aspects to focus on.

Over the years that I've spent on the range working with people I've come to find that it is a great laboratory.

Things become pretty simple. "It".... whether "it" is a new gun, technique, piece of gear, whatever... either works or it doesn't.

And while the basic fundamentals are the same for everyone some people perform better w/ a technique different than what is their Instructors personal favorite.

Glad you saw this thread. I was hoping you would jump in. Sling shot vs slide release is largely personal preference, IMHO. But what are your thoughts on the tactical reload and it's application in a self defense scenario? Assuming that the shooter carries a second magazine.

A tact reload /mag swap should be used when there's a lull in the fight. You should have cover. If you are in the open with bullets flying you should be moving to cover not taking bullets outta your gun!

A tact reload /mag swap should be used when there's a lull in the fight. You should have cover. If you are in the open with bullets flying you should be moving to cover not taking bullets outta your gun!

Pretty much the above.
While not "normally" as relevant in civilian scenarios vs. military or L.E. ones, it is best to not assume anything from a fight.
It's a good tool to have in the toollbox & should be practiced.

One should always carry a spare mag....
not necessarily for repelling hordes of the "undead"
but so as to be able to remain "combat effective" if your primary magazine goes down which is a top cause for semi-autos to malfunction.

If you are not shooting, you are moving.

If you are not moving, you are reloading.

If you are not shooting, moving or reloading, you are dead.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

You're supposed to be dialoguing and working towards common understanding and mutual respect of cultures.

Back
Top Bottom