• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Small of Back (SOB) Carry- Opinions?

ArmedinAtlanta

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
Guys and gals of ODT:

I have always carried IWB at 5:30 or so, in the small of the back. I prefer this method primarily because my spinal erectors are fairly protrusive and create a nice pocket for my CCW pistol (either Bersa Thunder .380 CC or Sig P250 Subcompact). I have never really felt that this method of carry was less comfortable than any other IWB carry position, so I'm not looking for replies telling me about the discomfort of sitting in a car seat or office chair, etc., with an SOB carry position; I know it is a comfortable method for me.

What I'm really trying to find out is whether anyone has had any problems with this kind of carry. If you have had your pistol taken from you, experienced an accidental discharge while drawing from SOB, or fallen on your pistol and actually received a traumatic spine injury, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you, and hearing your suggestions for alternate carry positions. My concern, however, is that any other carry position will print like crazy because I have very, very little bodyfat, and I tend to wear clothes that are more fitted to my body than those commonly worn by most CCW folks.

Thoughts from those with SOB carry experience are appreciated!

I would not consider carrying SOB regardless of how comfortable it may be. Nothing about carrying your pistol somewhere that's less visible and accessible to you than everyone else strikes me as being wise. I find appendix carry in a Galco stow and go works best for me. It's up front and easy to retrieve. Nobody is getting close enough to my junk to snatch my piece either. Just my input.

I have done it, but no longer will out of fear of falling on it. Get a GOOD holster, and wear it around 3:30-4:00 and you will be good to go.

I carried SOB for years...I finally quit when I went to stand up from a seated position and the beaver tail of my 1911 caught the ladder back of the chair and picked it up with me. I was quickly able to unlodgebthe chair from my person but afterwards noticed that the safety had been released.

Not only did I inadvertently advertise to everyone that I was carrying a weapon, I made it unsafe in the process. That was and will be the last time I ever carry SOB. IWB @1700 from now on.

I think the prevailing fear of SOB carry is the possible consequences of falling straight back onto a very hard piece of metal. I don't have any direct reports of this happening however when it comes to the spinal column, you have very little margin for error and a whole lot of vital tissue.

I do like carrying SOB in a FIST holster. Comfy, very concealable....BUT, to draw the weapon, it puts your arm in a very compromised position. If an attacker grabbed your arm as you're reaching back, he can prohibit you from drawing your weapon.

Pros and cons IMHO...

Disadvantages:
1. Places a hard, metal unyielding object directly over the spine where a fall can & has caused spinal injury.
I believe the first I heard of this was an article written by Mas Ayoob(?) I believe describing multiple cases where L.E. officers experienced some bad injuries carrying in this manner while off-duty.

2. To draw you have to place your arm in a submission position compromising your ability to fight off an attacker in close quarter's.

3. Slow position from which to draw from, plus most people sweep the entire centerline of their body during the draw sequence.

4. Hard to protect the gun from possible disarm attempts due to lack of leverage & vision. Differs slightly from #2.

5. As mentioned, very uncomfortable for extended periods of sitting. Also extremely difficult to draw from while seated.

6. In advanced training drills, it is about impossible to use the holster to perform one-handed reloads using the holster like you can with one carried strongside.

There are probably couple more that I might remember later.

I have a good friend & one of the better students that I've trained who used to carry this way who now carries at about the 5:00 position, just far enough off the spine to alleviate some of the problems.

An old rule of thumb I used to ( & really still do) go by is that if the vast majority of professionals aren't doing something a certain way... there is probably a reason why.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am not a lover of 6 o'clock. I usually carry about 4:00. 5:00 just does not work for me sitting in an automobile. 6 is more comfortable than 4 but is the worse. Is this just my love handles or does anyone else have this problem in the car?

Funny yet true..SOB has never appealed to me, but to each his own
I would not consider carrying SOB regardless of how comfortable it may be. Nothing about carrying your pistol somewhere that's less visible and accessible to you than everyone else strikes me as being wise. I find appendix carry in a Galco stow and go works best for me. It's up front and easy to retrieve. Nobody is getting close enough to my junk to snatch my piece either. Just my input.

Back
Top Bottom