• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So how many folks got a call from the Postal Inspector lately?

Was able to figure it out because of a news article that didn't have an ad blocker.

Couple of take-aways if you want to avoid being caught up in something like this.
1) Look at feedback and see if someone is just buying, never selling. That appears to be the case here.
2) Look at feedback and see if someone is buying something almost every day. That appears to be the case here.
3) Look at feedback to drill down and see if they're buying almost the same thing every time. That appears to be the case here.
4) Having a Georgia WCL doesn't mean they don't have criminal intent.

While not wrong or illegal in and of itself, it should get your "Spidey Sense" tingling.

I can say with relative confidence that I didn't and wouldn't have sold him a firearm.

I don't remember him personally but he didn't strike me as a bad guy or I would have called it off.

I did ask for a carry permit since at that time he only had a few ratings, but he didn't have one. However he did have some feedback from some pretty established members so I went ahead with it.

I do try and research people if I can, but nothing is perfect. I usually go off gut feel on people which is why I try to talk to people without a lot of feedback on the phone before agreeing to meet. That's kept me from selling a couple of times. Guess this guy fooled me though, along with a lot of other folks here.

Nope. They're pulling at threads. Looking for more low hanging fruit. :eyebrows::behindsofa:
Probably true. Gun Sales (not autos) between citizens in Georgia are not 'illegal'. If the buyer THEN chooses to flip and illegally send the guns to lost-California then that's not the bad on the first sale, IMO.

ATF can claim "intent to flip/sell/transfer" on a legal private sale but there's nothing wrong with the original sale IMO>

Bottom line? Get the transferor, not the original trader/seller. In any case the ATF can screw off I don't care what happens in California., the end is coming for them, anyway.

Was able to figure it out because of a news article that didn't have an ad blocker.

Couple of take-aways if you want to avoid being caught up in something like this.
1) Look at feedback and see if someone is just buying, never selling. That appears to be the case here.
2) Look at feedback and see if someone is buying something almost every day. That appears to be the case here.
3) Look at feedback to drill down and see if they're buying almost the same thing every time. That appears to be the case here.
4) Having a Georgia WCL doesn't mean they don't have criminal intent.

While not wrong or illegal in and of itself, it should get your "Spidey Sense" tingling.
It is not your job to determine "criminal intent" nor is it your job to scan through the expanse of past post ads for a given account to determine anything beyond if the buyer is a legal purchaser in Georgia for the type of gun you're selling.

People here joke all the time derisively about Bills of Sale - they guffaw about it all the time and make nasty jokes, but this is one of the times when a number of those hundred-plus 'sellers' would love to have a Bill of Sale sitting in their records. Keep your BOS jokes up and there'll be a few less ears listening once this story gets to full bore..

The USPS agent said that they were mainly looking for information so they could stack-on charges against these guys. He even pointed out that private sales were perfectly legal in GA when I asked him if he though I sent a gun to CA through the mail.

That first conversation with him was pretty confusing, mainly because I wasn't even sure that this was real and all he had was some info from this guys account. A random phone call from a CA number by a person claiming to be a federal agent sure sounded like a scam to me.

Back
Top Bottom