• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I have an 80% lower

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
171   0
Reaction score
Brother in law gave me one a couple years ago as a gift. Right now it is a paperweight.

But seeing what is going on politically, part of me wants to finish it, within the confines of the current law.

I see jigs and stuff out there. I don't have a router or a drill press, but I think my buddy has a drill press. What's the most cost effective and idiot-proof way to finish this lower and keep it for my own personal use?

Question... do I have to do the work myself? Meaning, if someone has a jig and knows how to do it... can I have them do it for me, or to be legal do I have to be the one to "finish it"?

I am looking for the easiest way to complete this, but I do want to make sure I am on the right side of the law.

Question... do I have to do the work myself? Meaning, if someone has a jig and knows how to do it... can I have them do it for me, or to be legal do I have to be the one to "finish it"?

I am looking for the easiest way to complete this, but I do want to make sure I am on the right side of the law.
yes, you have to finish it

You have to do the work.
And a jig is easy to use if you just follow the steps.
The easiest way to do one of these is to use a router jig.
But can be done with a drill press as that is how I did my first few.
Will post pictures of me doing that later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATF says that if somebody else helps people complete 80% receivers, that other person or business is a "firearm manufacturer" and must get an FFL and keep records of every receiver produced.
Now, I don't know if or how that might apply to a private individual with a basement or garage workshop who, FOR NO CHARGE, helps a FRIEND complete a lower, in a ONE-TIME situation, where the workshop owner isn't regularly helping people build guns.

ATF says that if somebody else helps people complete 80% receivers, that other person or business is a "firearm manufacturer" and must get an FFL and keep records of every receiver produced.
Now, I don't know if or how that might apply to a private individual with a basement or garage workshop who, FOR NO CHARGE, helps a FRIEND complete a lower, in a ONE-TIME situation, where the workshop owner isn't regularly helping people build guns.

So far as long as the garage is not a place of business and the person who owns machines does not do any of the work then ok (but the ATF can change their mind).
Best if you barrow the machines and do it at your own house just to be sure to be compliant with the ATF rules IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom