• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what's the deal with pawn shops and stolen guns? Story below...

An agency who will remain nameless holds a regular 'seized property' auction and it often includes lots of guns. Fellow goes, bids and wins a few items and takes one into the local pawn shop and sells it. Comes through the pawn sheets and the po-po calls the shop and says, "Hey, that pistol was reported stolen, we need that back! Do you have a number for the guy that sold it to you?"

Pawn shop gives the seller's number to po-po, po-po calls the man and says, "Hey Mr. Gunseller, where'd you get that pistol? It's stolen property." Man replies, "Well, I bought it at your auction!"

LOL. Po-po selling stolen property.....you can't make this **** up.

Where there's smoke there is fire. If much of the world has a similar view of pawn shops, there must be a reason for it. I meant a license to steal on a few fronts. First, the ability to buy stolen things and then hold it hostage until the "victim" pays for their things. Second, I liken pawn shops and title pawn companies in the same ilk. Both have a license to steal, and in my opinion, victimize poor and uneducated persons. I personally refuse to cross the doorstep of either kind of establishment.
Pawn shops are about as human as the AR-15 you refer to, it does however take humans to operate either.

haha I bet you got butt hurt over something that happened and you blamed to pawnbroker . . .It is a good thing I don't have to tell you to stay away from my business.

Where there's smoke there is fire. If much of the world has a similar view of pawn shops, there must be a reason for it. I meant a license to steal on a few fronts. First, the ability to buy stolen things and then hold it hostage until the "victim" pays for their things. Second, I liken pawn shops and title pawn companies in the same ilk. Both have a license to steal, and in my opinion, victimize poor and uneducated persons. I personally refuse to cross the doorstep of either kind of establishment.
Pawn shops are about as human as the AR-15 you refer to, it does however take humans to operate either.
Victims don't buy their property back. A true "victim" would press charges. At that point the property is returned and the criminal goes to jail. We lose money and hope that the local DA and probation dept get us restitution. The shop in that case is also a victim.

As far as you not caring for pawn shops, everyone has an opinion. We have customers that would truly have a hard time if we weren't here. I paid 19.9% interest on my first car and too much on a 30 year mortgage. Guess I should boycott banks. I guess all police are dirty and all lawyers are crooks? It says so on the news.

Victims don't buy their property back. A true "victim" would press charges. At that point the property is returned and the criminal goes to jail. We lose money and hope that the local DA and probation dept get us restitution. The shop in that case is also a victim.

As far as you not caring for pawn shops, everyone has an opinion. We have customers that would truly have a hard time if we weren't here. I paid 19.9% interest on my first car and too much on a 30 year mortgage. Guess I should boycott banks. I guess all police are dirty and all lawyers are crooks? It says so on the news.

I agree. Pawn brokers serve all strata of society. Many people cannot walk into a bank and walk out with a signature loan. They may have collateral and the broker loans against it. I also know of doctors, business owners, politicians and lawyers borrowing money from pawn shops for a number of reasons. They may not wish the credit bureaus to know of the loan (due to debt/available credit ratios), wives, husbands, etc. You get the drift. They provide a valuable service and can be an excellent source of tools, guns, etc. for customers.

I work with a couple of owners of local pawn shops. Contrary to popular opinion, they work really hard to NOT buy stolen goods, because if the property is reclaimed by the owner (or police), it's a dead loss for them. Plus they don't need the reputation.

Given that banks today basically refuse to make loans $5000 or less (may be higher now), pawn shops provide a viable alternative for credit in that range. I feel about pawn shops like a I feel about ODT sales prices -- I have the choice to not deal with either one.

I love the discussion the liberals have about the "unbanked". You know who's "unbanked"? Folks that have burned a bank once before. Until they make that bank whole, yeah, they're "unbanked"-- the banks share info on this. Nothing racist about that, but you'd never know it from the media stories.

Pawn shops and even title loan places are the lenders of last (only?) resort for a lot of folks. Close them to "protect" the poor, and you'll have more bankruptcies, unemployment, and evictions-- more family disruptions that become more of a burden on the welfare state. They can be used successfully in an emergency. If every week is an emergency, well, you probably have problems beyond what a lower interest rate is gonna fix. But sometimes they're the only lifeline folks have.

But I'm a libertarian and believe in all sorts of politically incorrect freedom.

I asked about this subject because of what happened to me, and my ignorance about the process. I'm not against pawn shops. Though the Dekalb PD? Well I guess it's more fun to troll Piedmont Park after dark than it is to do the job we're paying you for. Them, I have a problem with.

Though the Dekalb PD? Well I guess it's more fun to troll Piedmont Park after dark than it is to do the job we're paying you for. Them, I have a problem with.

Piedmont Park is in Atlanta, Fulton County.

I doubt you will see many Dekalb County PD there. Dekalb County SO apparently is a different story.

But, but... I read on here that BOS were useless????
Were they lying?
I'm so confused!! :confused:

Glad you got it back
They are useless. They're pretty useful when you start giving up your rights by supporting the same entity that tries to take your guns away.

People that support Bill of sale paperwork are no different than gun grabbers. No different in my eyes.

Well I wouldn't have gotten it back without the BOS. But I'm not wading into that.

We've all heard the stories about thugs having guns that won't fire but maybe one shot before they jam. Well, I tested it today, straight up, no lube, no cleaning. Just shoved ten rounds in the mag and dumped them on paper. And it ran flawlessly. Beat up, big chip out of the end of the guide rod, no lube, filthy on the inside. Probably wasn't lubed or cleaned since I did it in 2007. It looks like it's been sliding around under a seat; marks on one side but not the other, and the tritium vial is cracked on that side. But by God it still runs flawlessly, and my trigger job is still top-notch. And it still shoots kinda high. I'm not a Glock fan-boy, but I can't argue with that level of reliability.

FWIW.

Probably going on "sail" here soon, with full disclosure. Cheap. It will need new sights, though it will be properly cleaned and lubed.

Back
Top Bottom