• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So....Who/Where did you learn to reload?

Progressive press, and brass feeding issues, and was belling too much, much powder die height issues. The mistakes cost a lot more brass in progressive presses. Every time you pull the handle their are several areas you need to watch out for. Once I got it going smooth with 9 I was fine but I lost a pretty good number of cases learning. Didn't lose much powder, many bullets or primers but cases a bunch.

Last edited:
You guys have gottem me jazzed about getting into reloading again. I'm going to keep saving my brass, and pick up a manual to start reading. I wanted to start out with a progressive, but looks like I need to start out with a single stage.

1st Quick question of many I'll have I'm sure... I have a compact 9mm that puts a slight impression across the back of the back of the headstamp. Should I just chunk those or keep them? Thanks for all of your help.

cheap light load lead plinkers are running me 4.68 a box of 50. If you end up casting you own bullets... you can drop the cost significantly more

Looking for your wisdom...

Still running numbers on 9mm and can not get it below $7/box. I used 5k CCI primers, 5K Ranier lead safe 9mm 115g bullets and 4lbs of 231 powder (loads about 5.6k bullets?). Came out to be $697 off of MidwayUSA ($7/box of 50). What's the secret/place to shop for components to get it down to 4.68?

I've researched alot in over the past year, so I have a good idea of what I would need to do. Even with that I think I'd like to take the class that Hi-Caliver Firearms offers sometimes. It would give me a little more confidence in my finished product....

I teach that class and the basic pistol class at Hi-Caliber. I gear that class to people that are going to use a Dillon press. It is a very basic class that shows you how to load basic pistol cartridges. It sounds like you have done the basic research and are in need of an experienced reloader to watch over you and reassure you that you are doing things safely and correctly. That being said, if you are interested in buying a Dillon press then lets talk and I will teach you for free. But if you are just interested in learning and not getting into reloading please sign up for my class at the store and pay the fee. In other words if you are serious about starting to reload I will be more than happy to help out a fellow ODTer....

Looking for your wisdom...

Still running numbers on 9mm and can not get it below $7/box. I used 5k CCI primers, 5K Ranier lead safe 9mm 115g bullets and 4lbs of 231 powder (loads about 5.6k bullets?). Came out to be $697 off of MidwayUSA ($7/box of 50). What's the secret/place to shop for components to get it down to 4.68?

somewhere there's a breakdown a few of us did a while ago in this forum but basically:

1k primers- $20 (I usually pick up Tula for about that price from Dixie ammo dump)
1k brass - free for most of us, just pick some up at the range, or $30 if you buy some from somewhere like the brass exchange (their website seems to be down right now)
1k bullets- lead is the cheapest you can find- $50/k from Georgia Arms, or if you want FMJ or JHP Zero has them for about $100/k. I don't usually bother with plated any more since I can find jackets for about the same price. used to be plated was just a bit higher than lead but now it's close enough to jacketed that I just go that route.
power to load 1k rounds- $20. that's usually enough power (depending upon charge/powder, etc) to do at least 1k and sometimes closer to 2k rounds.

so you can make 1k rounds at the low end for $4.50/box of 50 ($20 primers, $20 powder, pick up your brass, $50 for lead = $90 plus labor) or $8.50/50 for JHP with buying once fired brass ($20 powder, $20 primers, $30 brass, $100 JHP Zero bullets).

I teach that class and the basic pistol class at Hi-Caliber. I gear that class to people that are going to use a Dillon press. It is a very basic class that shows you how to load basic pistol cartridges. It sounds like you have done the basic research and are in need of an experienced reloader to watch over you and reassure you that you are doing things safely and correctly. That being said, if you are interested in buying a Dillon press then lets talk and I will teach you for free. But if you are just interested in learning and not getting into reloading please sign up for my class at the store and pay the fee. In other words if you are serious about starting to reload I will be more than happy to help out a fellow ODTer....

Awsome, thanks!

I've not considered which press I'm going with yet. Let me take a look at Dillon and I'll get back to you on that. However, I think I'm going to sign up for the class if the next one if I can make it. Do you know when the next one is schedueld as the web site says TBD? Thx again.

- - - Updated - - -

somewhere there's a breakdown a few of us did a while ago in this forum but basically:

1k primers- $20 (I usually pick up Tula for about that price from Dixie ammo dump)
1k brass - free for most of us, just pick some up at the range, or $30 if you buy some from somewhere like the brass exchange (their website seems to be down right now)
1k bullets- lead is the cheapest you can find- $50/k from Georgia Arms, or if you want FMJ or JHP Zero has them for about $100/k. I don't usually bother with plated any more since I can find jackets for about the same price. used to be plated was just a bit higher than lead but now it's close enough to jacketed that I just go that route.
power to load 1k rounds- $20. that's usually enough power (depending upon charge/powder, etc) to do at least 1k and sometimes closer to 2k rounds.

so you can make 1k rounds at the low end for $4.50/box of 50 ($20 primers, $20 powder, pick up your brass, $50 for lead = $90 plus labor) or $8.50/50 for JHP with buying once fired brass ($20 powder, $20 primers, $30 brass, $100 JHP Zero bullets).

Very cool, thx for the info. I'm going to check out your suggestions!

Dad started me early on with the RCBS jr press and a saeco furnace, as I got older I graduated to teach myself on a dillon SDB and 550s. I think that reloading here in GA is different than it was in AZ. Everytime you go out to shoot on the desert you were just about guaranteed to find a 52 oz soda cup full of brass that someone shot and left there. That is how I got most of the brass I have. When you cast your own, that can really save on the bottom line too.

Zero has increased their prices on 9mm FMJ but do check as they may have specials or other calibers are cheaper than somewhere else. Currently for 9mm FMJ I use Precision Delta as they have the best 9mm FMJ prices (please someone correct me-I may use them).

$82/1K 9mm FMJ 115 gn. shipped to your door. http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php?indx=5

Cast lead for $50 at Georgia Arms is a real good price but on their web page the price is $56 (125 grain-no 115 grain listed) and then tax. I get a discount at Missouri Bullet and get them for about that price shipped to my door if I buy the 2K bundle. Georgia Arms does gun shows and if you call ahead will toss it on the truck and you can pick it up at the show.

$56/1K with tax 7% so $59.92 for 1K at Georgia Arms. http://georgia-arms.com/ammunition.aspx

$118/2K bundle 115 gn. Lead cast-($59/1K with no LEO, Act/Ret Mil discount) shipped $13/up to 3K (add $4.33/1K) So without any discount around $63.33 at Missouri. Add 50 cents/1K for the 125 grainers.
http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=146&category=9&secondary=&keywords=

Don't shop Midway for reloading components. I use them for hardware but recently a couple of purchases I have found cheaper than dirt to actually undercut them.

Primers and powder have a hazmat fee that generally makes them too expensive to ship unless you buy a really big order. For primers I'm with SpeedyR and have been going to Dixie Ammo Dump. I usually buy in 5K bricks at Dixie Ammo Dump. He is a nice guy and has some firearms inventory to scope out.

Last edited:
.45 cal in the BOQ at Ft. Clayton Panama in 1984. Lee hand loader with Herc Unique and RNL cast myself. WAY cheaper than the PX

Back
Top Bottom