• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So....Who/Where did you learn to reload?

For comparison sake...Georgia Arms sells the exact round that I load (not sure on the powder loading, but the same bullet) for $210 per 1K. I can load the same amount for about $140. They sell a similar plated 115gr 9mm loading to what RamRoddoc is describing for $230 per 1K. Sounds like you could save around $100 per 1K loading it yourself. Only you can decide if it is worth the time investment.

But RamRoddoc is dead-on with my experience...don't plan on saving a lot of money reloading. It generally does equate to shooting more than if you bought the ammo...or at least it did in my case. I used to shoot 50-100 rounds per range trip...now I shoot 100-150 rounds each time I go. I save some money...but I do shoot a lot more at the same time.

Taught myself years ago. First, pick up 3-5 reloading manuals. Cheapest investment of all. While your reading all steps,and each manual can be a little bit different, but one might relate to your situation better. Go ahead and start trying to pick out that .45 and.357. Load these bout as cheap as any, saving piles on factory, and accurate. Just read all steps more so than "recipes" then the loading data can make more sense. Have fun and be safe.

Learned a lot from my Father n law about reloading. I got my Lyman crusher kit and went from there reading the different manuals and working up loads for my rifles. I never really went into reloading for handgun rounds though.

I read Speer Manual #13 plus some on the internet. Pay attention to what you're doing and it's easier than baking a cake. Just follow the recipes. By the way, I load 9mm (as well as several other calibers). It seems that no one bothers to pick up 9mm brass at the range. So, I do. I've now got over 3,000 rounds loaded up in reserve. I get my 124 grain FMJ bullets at Precision Delta for $170 for 2,000 shipped.

I had a friend that loaded. He loaned me his manuals. He insisted that I read the manuals before he sat down with me at a press.

He was a wise ole bird.

I've never loaded to save money. Mine was/is about obtaining those one hole groups. With all the crap I've bought over the years I could have bought a lot of ready to shoot ammo.

I like tailoring my loads to my wants and needs. If I thought I could buy better ammo than I load, I'd buy it.

Otherwise, I wouldn't fool with it.

That's why I simply can't use a progressive press. There's not enough control, and I'm way too anal about case prep.

I found a training class in GA on reloading, but I haven't commited to taking it yet. The reason I haven't is I mainly shoot 9mm and haven't proven to myself it's cost effective to reload.. Where did you learn to reload?

where u finding 9mm for $4.68 a box?

Dad got me started as a boy but back in the late 1980's when ammo prices rose I picked up a Dillon progressive with 9mm and .45 ACP dies to augment my single stage press. Best thing I ever did.

Bullets can make or break any perceived savings. What usually happens is one just shoots more. Cast bullets are the cheapest but many say not to shoot them in polygonal rifling (Glock etc.). You will save some coin on 9mm even if you shoot copper jacketed but will need to shop around. The best buy I have found is at Delta for 9mm copper jacketed. Prices are with shipping $82 for 1K of 115 grainers shipped to your door, no gas money.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/index.php

Figure about $20+ for 1K primers (if you shop around and buy a brick/5K) and about $20 worth of powder for 9mm. A SWAG is approximately $122 for 1000 rounds of 115 grain 9mm and your time. Is it worth it?

You can pick up 2K cast lead 115 grainers at Missouri for $59 per 1K shipped. A discount can be used if your LEO, active or retired military. So that SWAG is around $99 for 1K of ammo. Cast your own and even less.
http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=146&category=9&secondary=&keywords=

To me it's worth it even if the cost was the same. You can download the ammo and it will reduce wear and tear and increase comfort of shooting or to make some sub-sonic ammo. I never understood why sub-sonic ammo cost so much more for less powder. Or you can upload it and make some real barn burners. Handloading equates to versatility and that is a good thing.

Great info, thx. I've been saving my brass for and have abot 1500. That should help in the savings... You've got me interested again!

I got a lee anniversary kit many Christmases ago. I read modern reloading by Richard Lee and started making ammo. I would recommend for any one else that wants to try, should start by reading the same book, even if they have a mentor. The knowledge you gain will help keep you safe and what you don't know can hurt you.

Back
Top Bottom