• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone School Me On AK's...

How decked out are your Ar's? If you are into tacticool **** you you can drop in, an AK is going to make you disappointment.

Avoid: RAS47,IO, Vulcan, anything built by JJ industries, MAADI MISRS made by CIA, all the c39 rifles
50/50: DDI/PSA. PSA has some ****ty cosmetic issues overall they are good rifles
Low end: N/O pap m70 rifles. Known for metal hardness issues. They dont take standard furniture or optic rails
Buy: WASR 550-600, chinese 550-2000 depending on rifle, Arsenal, 875-1400

Ak's are a rifle that require a lot of skill to build and someone who doesnt mind making things work even if they have cosmetic issues.

I have one slot left on the tactical/fun side of my safe and I've never owned an AK 47 before. I don't really know anything about them. What's considered to be the low end, average, high end versions? What to avoid and what is desirable? I have a few AR15's and an AR10, couple of shotguns, bolt action .308 and a few others. just looking for something different....

What is the difference in a new Molot Vepr like this one:

http://grabagun.com/molot-vpr-76239-01-vepr-762x39-16.html

Vs. and older model like some I've seen posted on here for a lot more money like this....

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-molot-vepr-7-62x39.1368065/

The top one is an unconverted Vepr listed for fair market value.

The bottom one has ~$150 of bolt on parts and inflated the price an extra $700.

IMHO, a VEPR is the highest quality AK available to the US market. Aditionally, they can be bought new unconverted for ~$750 out the door. Converting them is much easier than a Saiga and is very simple if you are handy with basic hand tools.

OP. I grew up shooting real, Soviet army issue AK 74s and RPK74s.
Since we are not allowed to have those...
Vepr
Saiga
Arsenal, MAK 90, Norinco
Hungarian AMD, Polish Tantal
SAR/WASR
Yugo
US made AKs

In that order. I will not buy an AK without chromed barrel, piston, gas block. Hence Yugo and US made are non-option for me. If I had to have one, Yugo is better than PSA.

That's my opnion, and mine only.

OP. I grew up shooting real, Soviet army issue AK 74s and RPK74s.
Since we are mot allowed to have those...
Vepr
Saiga
Arsenal, MAK 90, Norinco
Hungarian AMD, Polish Tantal
WASR
Yugo
US made AKs

In that order. I will not buy an AK without chromed barrel, piston, gas block. Hence Yugo is a non-option for me.

That's my opnion, and mine only.

No love for pre wasr Romanian aks?

Same as WASR. Updated my list.

Granted I know next to nothing and am splitting hairs .... But I believe the SAR and CUR series are better built. The ones I've handled feel more solid, have little to no canted Sights, and are simply better looking since they have dimples lol

I am an AK snob, sorry. I was 7 or 10 years old when I shot my first AK, and it was a real Soviet RPK74, that I was allowed to shoot in semi-auto mode only. I learned how to field strip on armory-fresh, never shot/issued AK74s. I am very picky when it comes to AKs. That's why I mentioned my background when I gave my personal ranking.

I remember when SAR1 sold for under $300, closer to $200. And people said "buy a better AK". The biggest issue that plagued SAR were oversized mag wells, IIRC. But you are right, they are better than WASRs.

Even Arsenal is not as good as a real deal. They copied the design of the AK74 muzzle brake pretty faithfully, but it is not chrome-lined, like the original was.

I am an AK snob, sorry. I remember when SAR1 sold for under 300, closer to 200. And people said "buy a better AK". The biggest issue that plagued SAR were oversized mag wells, IIRC. You are right, they are better than WASRs.

Again, i was splitting hairs and going just by what I've owned. The mak90 has the best factory trigger and although there is no side mount for optics, it's my favorite AK. Choate stock or traditional wood works for me, just no butthole stock.
As far as optics etc on an AK, well you know the saying
"Nyet!... rifle is fine! "

Back
Top Bottom