• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Squirrel hunting on WMA's?

bigred1980

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to start hunting and figured what better way then with some squirrels and maybe try sum deer. My question is is there a particular schedule for hunting squirrel at either lake Russell or Wilson shoals WMA? These are the closest to me. Also do u have to sign up before u do or what? I know i have to get the WMA license but do u just show up or what? Hate to sound like a clueless newbie but i guess i am lol. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Goto your closest Walmart or sporting goods store and get a copy of the rules and regs, or check the DNR website, or call your local DNR office and they can guide you.

We were all new at hunting once and those of us that did not have friends or family to show us the ropes, get the rules and regs and starting figuring stuff out, so don't worry about being new to the sport. Welcome! You will find hunting s great past time and hobby! I also encourage you to get some hunting magazines and websites and read away. Also DNR WMA check stations can be great sources of info.

Do as stated in above post. I would get a copy of the regs and read them carefully.
Generally speaking though, WMA's are open to small game hunting when there are no deer hunts-usually no sign in for small game-I have never encountered that.
I would be cautious and read-up on each WMA that you plan to visit.

Do as stated in above post. I would get a copy of the regs and read them carefully.
Generally speaking though, WMA's are open to small game hunting when there are no deer hunts-usually no sign in for small game-I have never encountered that.
THIS!

I have been reading up on the DNR website as well as bought numerous magazine's and books. Just wasn't sure of the sign in and dates but I do appreciate the advice. Guess I just need to get out there

Goto your closest Walmart or sporting goods store and get a copy of the rules and regs, or check the DNR website, or call your local DNR office and they can guide you.

We were all new at hunting once and those of us that did not have friends or family to show us the ropes, get the rules and regs and starting figuring stuff out, so don't worry about being new to the sport. Welcome! You will find hunting s great past time and hobby! I also encourage you to get some hunting magazines and websites and read away. Also DNR WMA check stations can be great sources of info.
Where are the check stations? Do all WMA's have one?

Yea I read up on Wilson Shoals and people say there isn't much wildlife. Just the opposite with Lake Russell. But lake russell can also be packed with hunters so idk

Right now is a great time to go if any WMA's are open to small game hunting. Find some oaks that are getting worked over by the squirrels. You'll hear the rustling up in the trees as they move from limb to limb gathering acorns. Look on the ground for broken acorn hulls. If you can find any den trees nearby I'd set up and watch them at dawn/dusk.

Every WMA is different. Make sure you read up on the one you are interested in. http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/specific-wma-pfa-state-park-hunting-regulations/

Neither Lake Russel or Wilson Shoals require check in nor have quotas for small game hunts.

As a new hunter on a new WMA, I would STRONGLY recommend not going alone.
I don't want to go alone unfortunately I don't know anybody to go with. And thanks for the link that's the one I've been looking for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom