• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Squirrel hunting on WMA's?

Paulding Forest WMA should not have any small game hunting opened during the deer hunts, whether it be archery or gun.

image.jpg

Wish they would ban hunting squirrels on WMA while deer season is in.
Nothing more frustrating than finally finding a spot on a WMA to deer hunt and have jackasses walking around looking for tree rats!
Who the hell would walk around any woods during deer season doing anything is beyond me, asking to get accidentally shot!
I darn sure wouldn't want to be the squirrel hunter walking up on a pissed off deer hunter. I would avoid any place that doesn't close one season for the other. Too much conflict there

Get topo maps of the WMA'S, you plan to visit then make some non hunting visits to drive roads, see where the boundaries are, creeks, ridges, prepare, prepare, then visit or call your local DNR WARDEN, they are a good source of info, make notes and read when the rut is in that area, squirrel hunting is a good way to gather helpful info..

good luck in your hunting quests.......................
Thank u sir will do

Nothing like hunting McGraw ford archery only deer to have three dorks come through the woods blasting .22's every three seconds scaring off every deer within a mile.
There must have been 300 squirrels per 1/4 acre that day by the sound of it.

Never said I owned jack.
Just frustrating when they do it out of season especially when you see that they are just shooting at anything like logs and sticks laughing like little kids.

Never said I owned jack.
Just frustrating when they do it out of season especially when you see that they are just shooting at anything like logs and sticks laughing like little kids.
I can understand your frustration and believe me the reason I started this thread was to get some advice and avoid any potential conflicts out in the woods

I'll also throw this bit of info out there to you. I'd wear an orange vest while hunting small game on WMA land, regardless of wether it is deer season or not. It's a wise idea because there are folks that get caught deer hunting on the WMA boundaries or even on WMA land when there is no deer season open. I would want to be as visible as possible. If a squirrel gets close enough to see your orange vest it is close enough to get shot.

Back
Top Bottom