• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Squirrel hunting on WMA's?

Right now is a great time to go if any WMA's are open to small game hunting. Find some oaks that are getting worked over by the squirrels. You'll hear the rustling up in the trees as they move from limb to limb gathering acorns. Look on the ground for broken acorn hulls. If you can find any den trees nearby I'd set up and watch them at dawn/dusk.
Good advice thanks

Do as stated in above post. I would get a copy of the regs and read them carefully.
Generally speaking though, WMA's are open to small game hunting when there are no deer hunts-usually no sign in for small game-I have never encountered that.
I would be cautious and read-up on each WMA that you plan to visit.
looks like pauilding wma you can hunt tree rats while deer hunters are in the woods ,this could very well cause issues for both parties of hunters !! be careful ,,

Wish they would ban hunting squirrels on WMA while deer season is in.
Nothing more frustrating than finally finding a spot on a WMA to deer hunt and have jackasses walking around looking for tree rats!
Who the hell would walk around any woods during deer season doing anything is beyond me, asking to get accidentally shot!

Wish they would ban hunting squirrels on WMA while deer season is in.
Nothing more frustrating than finally finding a spot on a WMA to deer hunt and have jackasses walking around looking for tree rats!
Who the hell would walk around any woods during deer season doing anything is beyond me, asking to get accidentally shot!
Yea I'm surprised they would mix them together. Seems dangerous and stupid

Get topo maps of the WMA'S, you plan to visit then make some non hunting visits to drive roads, see where the boundaries are, creeks, ridges, prepare, prepare, then visit or call your local DNR WARDEN, they are a good source of info, make notes and read when the rut is in that area, squirrel hunting is a good way to gather helpful info..

good luck in your hunting quests.......................

Back
Top Bottom