• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Steel target ideas?

Hasselhoss

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
168   0
Reaction score
I need to make some steel targets. I would like to have them setup at various, pre-determined and marked distances. I want something that will give a nice, distinct report, hold up to various calibers and not ricochet. For those of you that have your own ranges, what do or did you use? How did you mount them so that they can absorb the impact yet not swing around? What sizes did you use?

Show me what you've got :)

Safebuilder here on ODT makes them. I believe he uses AR10 steel. It is popular to hang them so the target absorbs some of the inertia and causing the bullet to deflect a safer direction. If you directly mount it to a stand you have to put a slight angle on it downwards and make sure the posts used are either angle or square and welded with the point facing you so the two sides, if hit, deflect the bullet to the left or right. Hickok45 has a pretty sweet set up. If I could I'd just emulate his range.

Safebuilder here on ODT makes them. I believe he uses AR10 steel. It is popular to hang them so the target absorbs some of the inertia and causing the bullet to deflect a safer direction. If you directly mount it to a stand you have to put a slight angle on it downwards and make sure the posts used are either angle or square and welded with the point facing you so the two sides, if hit, deflect the bullet to the left or right. Hickok45 has a pretty sweet set up. If I could I'd just emulate his range.

Yeah, he's got a sweet setup with awesome an natural backdrop. I wonder if I could get one of these welding places I see around here cut me some plates that I can hang from some frames. I want them to look nice enough that I can leave em out without it looking like a junkyard

I've shot a LOT of steel over the years. If you want it to hold up, don't waste your money on anything less than AR500 and at a minimum 3/8 thick. Preventing ricochets is all in how they are mounted, the steel needs to be able to move and absorb the energy from the bullet. If you rigid mount then you will need to have the target downwards to send the bullet spall to the ground.

I have 4 pieces of steel hanging in my backyard that I shot with 22 only. It's all on chain and able to seeing to absorb the impact.

MGM flash targets are used at a lot of matches because they work, not only do they give an audible feedback, but visual as well.

Once you start shooting distance you will want smaller targets, hearing the impact on a 12x12 at 500 isn't as satisfying as hearing the impact on a 4x4 at 500.

Yeah, he's got a sweet setup with awesome an natural backdrop. I wonder if I could get one of these welding places I see around here cut me some plates that I can hang from some frames. I want them to look nice enough that I can leave em out without it looking like a junkyard

very few local shops can get AR500 steel readily and its pricey. if you want to hit it will everything you have, this is really the only option in plates. safebuilder is an excellent source and his targets are very well priced for what you get (and he warrants them).

mine has to be portable, so i have a half size AR500 sillouette on chains hanging from a rebar frame. i have 2- 3 way brackets that accomodate the top bar and the 2 legs on each side. very inexpensive frame/hanging materials that allows a good swing for deflection and the audible feedback is excellent.

wish i was setting up a range like you are envisioning!!

Back
Top Bottom