Steel target ideas?

Hey Hoss: right here in Covington too. All of our targets are waterjet cut AR500 steel. My portable racks are a great way to hang your targets and we have the fixed racks too! Need different sizes? I can help you out. SB

Safebuilder here on ODT makes them. I believe he uses AR10 steel. It is popular to hang them so the target absorbs some of the inertia and causing the bullet to deflect a safer direction. If you directly mount it to a stand you have to put a slight angle on it downwards and make sure the posts used are either angle or square and welded with the point facing you so the two sides, if hit, deflect the bullet to the left or right. Hickok45 has a pretty sweet set up. If I could I'd just emulate his range.

Thanks for the comment...the steel is AR500

Thanks for the comment...the steel is AR500

I just got a half sized silhouette from safebuilder- very nice target. The edges are very clean and the target frame works great. I set it out at 100 yards and shot about 80 rounds of 62 grain Wolf HP .223 at it and there's not any damage at all. I'd highly recommend them. I needed something light enough to carry out to the gun club with me and then disassemble to take home.

I have had some pieces of 5/8" thick structural steel angle (A36 most likely) for years. I've shot them with all kinds of pistol ammo and they're really not damaged (.22LR, .357, .45ACP, 9mm) However a round of .223 will crater the front and make a dimple stand out on the back.

I just got a half sized silhouette from safebuilder- very nice target. The edges are very clean and the target frame works great. I set it out at 100 yards and shot about 80 rounds of 62 grain Wolf HP .223 at it and there's not any damage at all. I'd highly recommend them. I needed something light enough to carry out to the gun club with me and then disassemble to take home.

I have had some pieces of 5/8" thick structural steel angle (A36 most likely) for years. I've shot them with all kinds of pistol ammo and they're really not damaged (.22LR, .357, .45ACP, 9mm) However a round of .223 will crater the front and make a dimple stand out on the back.

And that is when its not safe and needs to be discarded. Thats what causes the ricochet more than anything.

I use the metallic silhouette targets that the Chattanooga Rifle Club use in their matches. They are the chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.

I took some 1" flat stock about 1 foot long welded to them with a 1" piece of 1" black pipe welded on the other end. I don't have a large burm so I hang them on a 10' srick of 3/4" pipe. I have it set up so I can take them down to shoot paper targets.

I shoot mine with 22lr from my covered tables at 85 yds.

I need to make some steel targets. I would like to have them setup at various, pre-determined and marked distances. I want something that will give a nice, distinct report, hold up to various calibers and not ricochet. For those of you that have your own ranges, what do or did you use? How did you mount them so that they can absorb the impact yet not swing around? What sizes did you use?

Show me what you've got :)

Just picked up AR500 Steel from SafeBuilder. Great guy to deal with and we shot them this weekend with our S&W 500 MAG. Plus we shot it with 6.5 Creedmoor and .243 Ackley from 500 yds. He also makes walking targets. [video=youtube_share;vGZNfSjtfeY]http://youtu.be/vGZNfSjtfeY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom