• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Story time. Lesson learned.

Can anyone site a Georgia case where a homeonwer has been prosecute for shooting or otherwise killing a home invader? The law isn't completely clear. I have looked and I can not find a case. I found (1) where a man was charged in Fulton county for shooting a burglar in his fathers home after a neighbor called and said someone was in the house. The Father was out of town and the son who did not live there went over and shot the burgar. I can find other cases where someone claimed a home invasion and it turn out that wasn't the case and the homeowner was charged. I can't find a case where someone broke into a home while the homeowner was at home and then was charged for shooting the intruder. I am only looking for Georgia cases, I can find cases in northern states as well as the west coast. If you find or can site a case please referance your source or provide a link
Thanks!

Can anyone site a Georgia case where a homeonwer has been prosecute for shooting or otherwise killing a home invader? The law isn't completely clear. I have looked and I can not find a case. I found (1) where a man was charged in Fulton county for shooting a burglar in his fathers home after a neighbor called and said someone was in the house. The Father was out of town and the son who did not live there went over and shot the burgar. I can find other cases where someone claimed a home invasion and it turn out that wasn't the case and the homeowner was charged. I can't find a case where someone broke into a home while the homeowner was at home and then was charged for shooting the intruder. I am only looking for Georgia cases, I can find cases in northern states as well as the west coast. If you find or can site a case please referance your source or provide a link
Thanks!
I can't find one, either, but that doesn't change what the law says. Keep in mind there are probably plenty of cases where there was an intruder that the owner didn't shoot for a variety of reasons.

The bottom line is that if you kill someone for no other reason than they broke into your house you are completely at the mercy of the prosecutor and judge, because you have no real legal protection under Georgia law. If they are having a bad day or are an anti gun activist, you might go to prison for a very long time.

It comes down to a very simply attitude. If you don't have to kill someone... don't.

I can't find one, either, but that doesn't change what the law says. Keep in mind there are probably plenty of cases where there was an intruder that the owner didn't shoot for a variety of reasons.

The bottom line is that if you kill someone for no other reason than they broke into your house you are completely at the mercy of the prosecutor and judge, because you have no real legal protection under Georgia law. If they are having a bad day or are an anti gun activist, you might go to prison for a very long time.

It comes down to a very simply attitude. If you don't have to kill someone... don't.

I would never shoot or kill someone unless I absolutely had to. Not only might you have to answer in court but also to your maker! Ran across this and reading all the remarks and find it interesting. Do you think it odd that a case isn't easily found? Do you think that it is either very rare or has never been prosecueted because the law is not clear or because there isn't an appetite for it here?

I would never shoot or kill someone unless I absolutely had to. Not only might you have to answer in court but also to your maker! Ran across this and reading all the remarks and find it interesting. Do you think it odd that a case isn't easily found? Do you think that it is either very rare or has never been prosecueted because the law is not clear or because there isn't an appetite for it here?

What constitutes absolutely having to for you?

Partially applies to the subject

Mine or someone close to me life is in imminent danger.

To, clairify. If you threaten with a weapon, attack with a weapon. Attack at the point where I'm at fear of death or severe injury, weapon or not.

In other words, if someone does something to cause me to fear for my life or a loved ones life or great injury. Then bullets are headed their way

To, clairify. If you threaten with a weapon, attack with a weapon. Attack at the point where I'm at fear of death or severe injury, weapon or not.

In other words, if someone does something to cause me to fear for my life or a loved ones life or great injury. Then bullets are headed their way

So it would require a visible weapon or physical contact?

If a person were 12 ft away and continued to walked towards you, would you be in fear or would you ask them to leave till they closed the distance?

So it would require a visible weapon or physical contact?

If a person were 12 ft away and continued to walked towards you, would you be in fear or would you ask them to leave till they closed the distance?

12' would be to close I would say you are in the shoot zone, I would not require physical contact to shoot. Once you let someone make contacts it may be too late.

Back
Top Bottom