• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Straight pull rifles

Love my straight pulls...Swiss, not Savage.

View attachment 3033383
I had a Swiss many many years ago in the 70s it was a carbine and I picked it up for a price of. $45. Reason was it ammo was impossible to get. But I found some and had the piece for years but as life has it it got traded away. Wish aI had kept it.

I'd constantly be worried the bolt would fly back and hit me in the eye.

The bolt blowing out was the big concern with the Blaser R93. At least one person had a pretty serious injury from that, but I believe the explanation had to do with improper handloads (pistol powder?) or some such. It made people scared to death to try something different though. As far as normal cycling, you're not going to hit your face if you're set up with a scope with decent eye relief.

The Savage looks very neat. A much heavier and more economical version of a Blaser maybe.

IMG_2466.jpg

K31

IMG_2464.jpg

M96 (1990s)

IMG_2465.jpg

R93

I see where Savage is coming out with a straight pull rifle. Do any of you own one or have any experience with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If "them" means any straight pull rifle, I had a cherry Schmidt Rubin. Pre internet, S. Ga. and ammo was impossible to come by. But I've always wondered why the idea didn't catch on more, I didn't find any problems with them that a little familiarity wouldn't resolve.

I'd constantly be worried the bolt would fly back and hit me in the eye.

The same way Paul Mauser lost one with his bolt action?

The Savage looks really interesting, plus I love the fact that they are independant again after buying themselves out from Vista Outdoors.

If there was 6.5 Creedmoor ammo out there I'd buy one in that caliber ASAP. One of the Varmint ones with a 20 round AICS box magazine.

Back
Top Bottom