• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Straw Purchase for private sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLcracker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
OK guys, it is happening. I have finally been exposed to what so many Left Wing Media Outlets and politicians complain about. Problems with private sales.

I have been a staunch supporter of Private Sales all my life, because that is how it has always been, all my life. Hell, that's the way it been in this country for over 200 years. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I am probably what would be termed Anachronistic. That may change.

Had a member here contact me who claimed he had a "family member" that wanted the very pistol I was selling. Great! Didn't even haggle the price. (it was a very fair price, nothing crazy or out of line). I gave the phone number and asked that his "family member" call me directly.

Well, he did. But I had a surprise because the other "family member" told me straight up he was buying it for the original family member that contacted me via ODT. He informed me, with no prompting, that the original family member could not purchase legally at this time!? I asked "Why Not?"

He started to tell me that he was having a few issues. I am leaving some of the details out but am somewhat loath to do so. The basic story was that his family member could not purchase "at this time".... never said when he MIGHT be available to do so. Possibly never?

I finally had to shut the sale down. I was being told straight up this was a straw purchase. I have never had anybody tell me that before. Most people are smarter than that, if that is their intention.

My question is: Would it be illegal in the State of Georgia to sell to someone who can legally purchase, if they are telling you they are doing so for someone who can not!? (beyond the stupidity of announcing your intentions)

Kinda pisses me off.

img_1191-jpg.1661553
<- Straw purchase.

This brings up a question I have. Can I, a legal gun purchaser, buy a gun from somebody in South GA and then have my legal, adult daughter pick it up and bring it to me?

GaMudd, this is the sort of gray area to me, but I am not a lawyer. Best to just quietly ask the seller if that is ok by them. Most would probably do it.

I had asked a seller to do this for me with my son, as I was out of town, but wanted a piece that might have sold before I got back to town. At first the seller was ok with it, but then he got squirrelly and declined. Can't balme him. It is an individual thing as far as I am concerned, but that is no legal answer.

OK guys, it is happening. I have finally been exposed to what so many Left Wing Media Outlets and politicians complain about. Problems with private sales.

I have been a staunch supporter of Private Sales all my life, because that is how it has always been, all my life. Hell, that's the way it been in this country for over 200 years. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I am probably what would be termed Anachronistic. That may change.

Had a member here contact me who claimed he had a "family member" that wanted the very pistol I was selling. Great! Didn't even haggle the price. (it was a very fair price, nothing crazy or out of line). I gave the phone number and asked that his "family member" call me directly.

Well, he did. But I had a surprise because the other "family member" told me straight up he was buying it for the original family member that contacted me via ODT. He informed me, with no prompting, that the original family member could not purchase legally at this time!? I asked "Why Not?"

He started to tell me that he was having a few issues. I am leaving some of the details out but am somewhat loath to do so. The basic story was that his family member could not purchase "at this time".... never said when he MIGHT be available to do so. Possibly never?

I finally had to shut the sale down. I was being told straight up this was a straw purchase. I have never had anybody tell me that before. Most people are smarter than that, if that is their intention.

My question is: Would it be illegal in the State of Georgia to sell to someone who can legally purchase, if they are telling you they are doing so for someone who can not!? (beyond the stupidity of announcing your intentions)

Kinda pisses me off.

IMHO (which I have been told from time to time was only valuable to me) the "right" thing to do would be to make a call to "the man" and make him aware that this individual who can not legally own a firearm is trying to procure one from you. Many may not agree but you could save a bunch if lives, possibly someone you know and love. On the other hand, if it is a setup you have done the right thing and punched the libs right in the mouth.

This may just be the conspiracy theorist in me, but it sounds like someone was trying to set you up.. or maybe they were just an idiot, who knows lol

I can see your point. I have considered that option. Another reason to shut it down.

Most of the time, when I see stupidity, I just quietly let the offender know, "hey, you may want to reconsider having pictures of that on line". Most of the time, the pictures quietly disappear. I am not trying to get people in trouble.

The funniest one was the guy (on Gun Broker!) who was selling the M1 carbine, that had a Happy Switch. Now I know they make "faux" happy switches for the M-14 styled semi autos, for those that like authenticity. I had NEVER seen one for an M1 carbine! So I asked the seller where they got the fake selector switch for their "M1 Carbine"?

That auction quickly disappeared.

:-)

Kinda pisses me off.
Call their ass out. Sick of these bull**** ass people muddying up ODT waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom