• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions on my first cans

Deadair Mask is the tits and so is the Rugged Oculus. I've got both. For a 9mm can, I'd agree on the 45 cal. I have the old model SiCo Octane 45 and it works well on everything from subguns to Glocks. I've shot subsonic 300blk through it. I am in the process of getting 2 more dedicated subgun cans but these are very specialized (MP5SD & GSL FatMan).

Just started the process with Construct More Pylons Construct More Pylons since he is up to date on the all of the E-filing of Form 4s.

QRF is another good place to purchase from and they are very knowledgable as well.

I've hear TruPrep TruPrep / cmshoot cmshoot is getting a SOT soon they may soon be in the NFA game as well.

The 22 is a realtively simple choice. I happen to like Dead Air's Mask 22 HD. It's user maintainable, pretty rugged and as far as I know, still up there as one of the most effective general-purpose 22 cans out there.

9mm is a bit more complicated, and is a bit dependent on what you'll be using it on. If you have guns with tilting barrels (pretty much all common guns other than the Beretta 92), you're going to need a Nielson device (muzzle booster). threaded in the appropriate way. If you have a metal-frame SIG, you might need a separate one for that, because the thread is metric (13.5x1mm), and not the standard 1/2x28. The reason I mention this is that these can add significant cost to your can if you don't get them with the can itself.

That aside, I like my Dead Air Odessa, which is a modular can and is fine for 'light use'. One of the advantages is it's a small-diameter, which means I can use it on guns with standard-height sights. If I remember correctly, it comes with a 1/2x28 Nielson device, so you can run it on most things straight out of the box

An alternative (in this case, I'm still waiting for the Form 4) is a Dead Air Ghost M. It's larger diameter and configurable length, but it's very light. However, it ONLY has a direct-attach thread, so for most pistols, you'll need the Nielson device, which runs about $80 for the sleeve and spring. And its diameter is considerably greater than the Odessa and will usually require guns that you use it on to have suppressor-height sights. This too can get expensive if you're going to run a can like this on multiple guns (regardless of the can manufacturer)

As you can tell - I'm biased. I like Dead Air's products.
I have to agree. I have both the Mask and the Odessa. Both are small diameter and very quiet. The mask on my Savage MK II is ridiculously quiet. Use the CCI Quiet and it's the sound of the firing pin dropping.

Stupid question, but what can works best on a 45 and a 9, and is equally quiet on both?

If you want one can to serve for both, it'll have to be rated for 45, and then - necessarily - the performance when you put it on a 9mm pistol isn't going to be as good as it would be with a dedicated 9mm can.

Having said that (and I don't own one) the Rugged Obsidian 45 I fired hosted on a Beretta 92 and a CZ worked pretty well.

Deadair Mask is the tits and so is the Rugged Oculus. I've got both. For a 9mm can, I'd agree on the 45 cal. I have the old model SiCo Octane 45 and it works well on everything from subguns to Glocks. I've shot subsonic 300blk through it. I am in the process of getting 2 more dedicated subgun cans but these are very specialized (MP5SD & GSL FatMan).

Just started the process with Construct More Pylons Construct More Pylons since he is up to date on the all of the E-filing of Form 4s.

QRF is another good place to purchase from and they are very knowledgable as well.

I've hear TruPrep TruPrep / cmshoot cmshoot is getting a SOT soon they may soon be in the NFA game as well.
I just responded to you with a small essay :) My number is also at the end of it

Stupid question, but what can works best on a 45 and a 9, and is equally quiet on both?
When in doubt, Obsidian 45 it out. Works for 9 and 45, as well as subsonic 300BO. Its also modular, so when you learn that a 1 foot pole on the end of your pistol sucks, you can shorten her down.

When in doubt, Obsidian 45 it out. Works for 9 and 45, as well as subsonic 300BO. Its also modular, so when you learn that a 1 foot pole on the end of your pistol sucks, you can shorten her down.
This right here regarding pistol cans. I don't even bother to suppress pistols anymore with the exception of my Beretta 21a with the shortened Oculus. Lock the slide in the place and it's stupid quiet.

My order of purchase from the onset was rimfire, then 30-cal rifle, then 45-cal pistol.

For rimfire, I went with the Dead Air Mask HD and it has been an absolute champ since 2018. Thousands of rounds of 22LR through it at this point and it keeps on chugging. First host was a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite, then a Savage FV-SR, and most recently a Bergara BMR Carbon. Great on all of them. Also does surprisingly well taking the bark out of 5.7x28.

For 30-cal rifle, I went with the Dead Air Sandman-S. I added the E-Brake and FH endcap, bringing it to roughly the same OAL as the Sandman-L w/o E-Brake. It's a stellar piece of gear as well. I run it on both mine and my wife's ARs (5.56), my 6.5CM Bergara BMP, and my RAR 300 BLK. Subs through the RAR w/ the Sandman rivals the giggle factor of the Mask on the BMR. DA's KeyMo QD is a thing of beauty as well.

For 45-cal pistol, I'm currently awaiting the stamp for a Rugged Obsidian45 FDE. I suffer from extreme analysis paralysis, so it took me the better part of 2 years to finally commit to which pistol can I wanted to go with. Every rabbit hole I went down brought me back to the Obsidian45, so I finally got the ball rolling last month. My primary host for it will be a Beretta M9A4, but I also have an assortment of 10mm Auto and 45 Auto pistols that will be flexed into a host role from time to time. A dedicated 9mm can may be a smidge quieter, but the flexibility to run many of my common chamberings through it sold me on a 45-cal. The Obsidian45 has an impressive list of compatible cartridges as well, so I can flex it over to lever actions and such in the future.

Best of luck deciding and keep us posted on what you go with! 🤘

Back
Top Bottom