• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed huntin question

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
so I was looking over the regulations on hunting on WMA land and one of the regulations said no suppressed hunting. I thought they passed that bill to allow it?

On all private land with the owners written permission as I understand it..I believe it was House bill 60 that was approved here in Ellijay..

The State is the "owner" or entity in control of WMA lands, and they say no to silencer-wearing guns.

Private land owners that give "verifiable" permission to use suppressors-- that's OK.

See code section 27-3-4, dated 2015 or later.

...(9) The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited; provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department.

I think the law may have changed, but this is the only place I've read about using suppressors on public land.

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/hunting-licenses/

Suppressor Hunting.JPG

A3184205-E03F-475F-B483-D4B3DA62670D.png
Yeah, it looks like the state DNR, Wildlife Resources Division, changed the rules to allow suppressor use (silencer use, although we know they don’t make a hunting rifle “silent”) on WMAs.

(What about other types of public lands?)

QUOTE: “Hunters may also use suppressed or silenced firearms on WMAs.”

Per the 2017-2018 hunting regulations, specifically the summary of important changes in the regs.

I'm stoked! I'm using my can next month @ Ossabaw Island.

FYI Federal Land hunters. Be sure to check to ensure it's ok to use them on Federal land if you hunt any. You'll have to call the office that manages the tract/s that you hunt. Federal land operates independently of the WMAs. They have regulations of their own making and are very hard nosed.

FYI Federal Land hunters. Be sure to check to ensure it's ok to use them on Federal land if you hunt any. You'll have to call the office that manages the tract/s that you hunt. Federal land operates independently of the WMAs. They have regulations of their own making and are very hard nosed.

"Federal lands" encompass many different landowners, each with their own rules. There are no general rules for "federal lands". You need to contact the agency that owns and operates the land.

FWIW, national forests, which is what most "federal lands" in Georgia are (USDA) follow state rules on firearms usage. The major kicker is that many WMA are on national forest land, and WMA rules trump USDA rules on WMA.

"Federal lands" encompass many different landowners, each with their own rules. There are no general rules for "federal lands". You need to contact the agency that owns and operates the land.

FWIW, national forests, which is what most "federal lands" in Georgia are (USDA) follow state rules on firearms usage. The major kicker is that many WMA are on national forest land, and WMA rules trump USDA rules on WMA.

I agree. My comment that you quoted was in regards to any NWR, not NF. I would not go to Piedmont NWR or any other NWR under the assumption of anything.

Back
Top Bottom