• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Surf fish rod and reel, what do yall use

I have been looking at making me up some rigs before I go down, I will definitely go with pyramid weight's this go around.
Don't buy cheap swivels, and get some 2 1/2 - 3inch pvc to place in the sand to hold the rods. We had them mounted on the ft of the truck

We just got back from surf fishing N.C. and Fla. In the last two weeks. I used one of the cheaper Penn combos with a 10' rod. Both times I wished I had brought something more manageable to toss a gotcha or spoon as well.

We just got back from surf fishing N.C. and Fla. In the last two weeks. I used one of the cheaper Penn combos with a 10' rod. Both times I wished I had brought something more manageable to toss a gotcha or spoon as well.
I have an 8th Penn fierce that I'll be casting lures with. I picked it up after having the same problem with a 10 foot rod.

You would be surprised how far I can send bait with 10ft rod. If you are doing surf fishing I would also recommend pyramid weights, they will dig in rather than roll with the current.

As a kid in New York Bay with a 12 or 13 foot rod and a 6 ounce sinker I think I could make 100 yards, lol.
I still have that PENN real! My Dad picked it during the Korean war era, while in the Navy.
It has automatic thumbing and when you get it set up just right it's remarkable, lol.

As a kid in New York Bay with a 12 or 13 foot rod and a 6 ounce sinker I think I could make 100 yards, lol.
I still have that PENN real! My Dad picked it during the Korean war era, while in the Navy.
It has automatic thumbing and when you get it set up just right it's remarkable, lol.
My 8500 and 9500 Penn spinning rods have a ton of big fish, trolling have landed 60+lb Smoker kings, Monster Wahoo, Bull Dolpin oh and sails.

Those would be great for fishing off the pier, looks like Gulf shores has an awesome pier.
If you pier fish get a huge weighted treble hook tie a long rope to it..If the fish is to big for the fishing line use it..Walking a fish all the way back to the beach from the pier can get tiring

If you pier fish get a huge weighted treble hook tie a long rope to it..If the fish is to big for the fishing line use it..Walking a fish all the way back to the beach from the pier can get tiring
I have some big hooks that I used for gator hunting that should do the trick! I'll tie them to some 550 paracord and maybe that should work.

I have some big hooks that I used for gator hunting that should do the trick! I'll tie them to some 550 paracord and maybe that should work.

If you go to the Gulf State Park Pier there will be locals willing to gaff or net your catch. Your Surf gear will be of little use. Most use spinning tackle for the Spanish Mackeral, trout and redfish, a 4000 series reel is plenty. For Kings and Cobia and the occasional Tarpon, 8 to 10 spinning rigs with 5000 to 6500 reels. These fish are often caught using LYs live lined. You can catch your bait on Sabaki rigs dropped down by the pilings, a light rod works best for this.

Back
Top Bottom