• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

Have you considered tuning your Glock? You should consider that with hand strength issues, you may have a problem reloading a wheel gun should SHTF.

Try a reduced strength guide rod to make it easier to manipulate. And lighter load ammo to reduce felt recoil.

Also, I don’t know your level of training but there are methods of clearing jams that make it easier. Such as racking the slide on your belt or some other object. Perhaps learning some other methods could increase your proficiency.

Strength training is something that shows greater benefit in the years when we have an abundant amount of testosterone but will reap some rewards even when those days are past. For not only the functional issue you are looking at here but just coping with life in general you should consider going to a gym, finding a good trainer and doing some resistance training. For clearing a firearm or racking a slide if you will grasp the slide in your left hand, rotate it 180 degrees counter clockwise and holding the slide firmly push forward with your right hand, bringing mostly your shoulder muscles into play you should find it much easier. I’ve taught several people who said they just couldn’t pull back the slide to do so using this technique.
I’m no tactical expert but switching from a 4” barreled gun that holds 15 or so rounds to a shorter barreled weapon that holds 6 makes no sense to me at all.

If a revolver is the way you go I would consider a 4" k frame or GP100. With a 4" barrel you get a little more velocity. I can shoot my 3" as well as my 4" but the 4" sight picture is a little more forgiving . I would think little difference IWB with a 3 or 4.

If you want to stay with Semi consider a Glock 19. The lighter weight and lower recoil may be a benefit. Im also thinking that it will give you more opportunities in the magazine before you would deal with a reload. With quality ammo a failure is very unlikely.

With church security I assume there is a team. While going hands may be a thing of the past for you and shooting someone may be difficult I would think you have a lot to offer. Your eyes and situational awareness are far more like to be used than previously mentioned tools.

Good morning and Happy Monday.
Thanks for all the good input.
A little about my background. I retired from the US Air Force in 1992 after 23 years. I spent time in Vietnam and leaned to fight for my life. I dislike harming another person but if you come to my church with violence on your mind you will be met with everything I have to offer.

I have been on the church security team for over 5 years. We have yet to have an incident but the team always comes ready. I often stand security at church events, especially ladies nights when we have over ladies from the local battered women shelter so they can enjoy some good food and Christian interaction, but many have left violent domestic violence situations and their significant others would love the opportunity to find them and harm them. Not going to happen on our watch.

I have seen new members on the team freeze while doing the video simulation encounters at the local sheriffs office. Multiple shooters or surprise shooters cost time and lives when you freeze up. The senior members, all ex-military or law enforcement do well on those types of scenarios but we also do well on de-escalation. In church, my head is on a swivel and I constantly track my zone for any movements out of the ordinary. So, my eyes and my senses remain good, my ability to tackle someone and take them down is not so good. Being 73 I break easy.

Given the opportunity I'd carry a long gun but the preacher said no. I'd also consider a sniper nest but he also said no to that. Surprising since he's a Marine.

We talk tactics often as a team and as individuals. Everyone has their zones and areas of responsibility. We consider ourselves to be sheep dogs and our motto is "no wolves shall pass". I am committed to what I do and the experience I carry with me. The team is completely committed and the people who freeze during computer scenarios (and these things are very, very realistic, many times with loud gunfire, smoke and people screaming) are trained and retrained until they get over it.

Our Pastor requires a permit and training before giving the letter required by GA Law to carry in church. We are aware that many carry but are not on the team. We are aware of who does and take them into consideration. Everyone else, and many are carrying, have been instructed to duck for cover and not engage if something happens. We stress that point every few weeks.

So that is the situation and background. Sorry for the long dissertation but wanted to be clear about where I come from and why I do what I do. The big thing is I need to rethink the tool of the position and a trip to the local gun store and range today will be in order. We will be doing drills at church this weekend (with dummy guns) to make sure everyone is still on board and functioning as a team.

God bless, say your prayers and always be ready.

Learn to use your belt, pant pocket or other solid objects to rack your slide using your sights. Watch some one arm training videos where the shooter has been shot in the arm and still has to clear jam
I would do this and start looking to step down as well. Being able to protect yourself isn't going to stop when you leave that post. I would also add steal sights and serrations to your carry if you don't have them and are going to start training alternate racking.

If you're going to be a bear be a grizzly. 4 inch 357 magnum. Make em bleed when you hit em. One shot one kill. It's my first gun with a speed loader I grab on my way to the 14.5 inch 6.8spc with three mags sitting with it. I will not be caught short on ammo in a crisis. Who ever breaks in here is in a world of copper pain.

Much respect to you for your willingness to serve this congregation in any capacity -- even in humility by acknowledging you may have physical limitations that require uncomfortable changes.

Also, I think you're making this more complicated than it has to be... If your concern involves a rare scenario (stove pipe malfunction) and you already carry a backup revolver, why not stay the course with your current setup and in the unlikely event a malfunction occurs you transition to your backup? (Otherwise, what purpose does the backup serve?)

another option would be a glock in 9mm with a reduced recoil spring and maybe some additional slide cocking serrations. The 45 spring weight is 17 pounds and you could do a glock 19 and get down to 12 or so pounds. Coupled with it being an easier to shoot gun you would likely have a better chance.

Back
Top Bottom