• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

686+ 3" loaded with .38 Special, with a Weigand Weig-A-Tinny Mini rail on top with dot of your choice.

Weigand Weig-A-Tinny Rail.jpg

Good morning and Happy Monday.
Thanks for all the good input.
A little about my background. I retired from the US Air Force in 1992 after 23 years. I spent time in Vietnam and leaned to fight for my life. I dislike harming another person but if you come to my church with violence on your mind you will be met with everything I have to offer.

I have been on the church security team for over 5 years. We have yet to have an incident but the team always comes ready. I often stand security at church events, especially ladies nights when we have over ladies from the local battered women shelter so they can enjoy some good food and Christian interaction, but many have left violent domestic violence situations and their significant others would love the opportunity to find them and harm them. Not going to happen on our watch.

I have seen new members on the team freeze while doing the video simulation encounters at the local sheriffs office. Multiple shooters or surprise shooters cost time and lives when you freeze up. The senior members, all ex-military or law enforcement do well on those types of scenarios but we also do well on de-escalation. In church, my head is on a swivel and I constantly track my zone for any movements out of the ordinary. So, my eyes and my senses remain good, my ability to tackle someone and take them down is not so good. Being 73 I break easy.

Given the opportunity I'd carry a long gun but the preacher said no. I'd also consider a sniper nest but he also said no to that. Surprising since he's a Marine.

We talk tactics often as a team and as individuals. Everyone has their zones and areas of responsibility. We consider ourselves to be sheep dogs and our motto is "no wolves shall pass". I am committed to what I do and the experience I carry with me. The team is completely committed and the people who freeze during computer scenarios (and these things are very, very realistic, many times with loud gunfire, smoke and people screaming) are trained and retrained until they get over it.

Our Pastor requires a permit and training before giving the letter required by GA Law to carry in church. We are aware that many carry but are not on the team. We are aware of who does and take them into consideration. Everyone else, and many are carrying, have been instructed to duck for cover and not engage if something happens. We stress that point every few weeks.

So that is the situation and background. Sorry for the long dissertation but wanted to be clear about where I come from and why I do what I do. The big thing is I need to rethink the tool of the position and a trip to the local gun store and range today will be in order. We will be doing drills at church this weekend (with dummy guns) to make sure everyone is still on board and functioning as a team.

God bless, say your prayers and always be ready.
Has something happened at your church to merit this level of security? No offense, but your pastor is right. If I came into church and somebody had a long gun slung and another guy in the baptismal font on overwatch, I'd turn right around and leave.

I appreciate your candor and service to your congregation, I'm just curious why you all feel the need to have that much security.

S&W 686+ 3" or 4" with a Holosun mounted is about right. You'll want a trigger job.

Also carry your .38 instead of worrying about reloading. Or just forget reloading. If you're not done by the time you empty a 686+ you need support from friends, not more rounds.

Has something happened at your church to merit this level of security? No offense, but your pastor is right. If I came into church and somebody had a long gun slung and another guy in the baptismal font on overwatch, I'd turn right around and leave.

I appreciate your candor and service to your congregation, I'm just curious why you all feel the need to have that much security.
These days you never know where it's gonna happen. One of my oldest friends works for Mercer Campus PD and has since the 90s . He used to meet another Catholic friend for mass every Sunday morning soon as he finished the night shift. So he was still in uniform. So this other California female friend gave him a ration of **** for bringing his sidearm into St Joseph's Church in downtown Macon. He told her he refused to be an unarmed target in that cop uniform.
The country seems to be covered up with unstable gimps with a hardon against Christians in general these days. So I get it.

These days you never know where it's gonna happen. One of my oldest friends works for Mercer Campus PD and has since the 90s . He used to meet another Catholic friend for mass every Sunday morning soon as he finished the night shift. So he was still in uniform. So this other California female friend gave him a ration of **** for bringing his sidearm into St Joseph's Church in downtown Macon. He told her he refused to be an unarmed target in that cop uniform.
Good for him. No way that I'd be unarmed in uniform either.
The country seems to be covered up with unstable gimps with a hardon against Christians in general these days. So I get it.
Fair enough...but...a slung long gun in the hands of a deacon? A church is always going to be somewhat of a soft target. Our church's preference has been to arm the flock, not up-armor the shepherd.

Good for him. No way that I'd be unarmed in uniform either.

Fair enough...but...a slung long gun in the hands of a deacon? A church is always going to be somewhat of a soft target. Our church's preference has been to arm the flock, not up-armor the shepherd.
To be fair I didn't read the entire original post. So I didn't read the part about a long gun. That does seem a little over the top. But then again the attackers ARE showing up with long guns more these days. But yeah it seems like there has to be a better way to do it. Like maybe stashed in the podium and or out of sight by the doorways. But someone responsible would have to be there with it at all times.

Get a GP100 Ruger the push button opening is easy to manipulate. And you can use magnum 357 or 38 specials.

I agree about long guns. I find guys simply standing and trying to blend to be distracting. Have a seat and observe. I think its like anything else sound and lighting and security are all important but they aren't the most important. When any of those come to distract from the reason to gather then its no longer beneficial. There is a balance

Back
Top Bottom