• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Switching from Glock to Wheelgun for church protection team

I have carried a Glock 30S in .45 ACP for quite a few years. I am on my church self defense team and have qualified well with the Glock. I recently found, due to advancing age and lack of strength in my primary hand that I had difficulties clearing a stove pipe jam and then found I could not reload a magazine even using the mag loader. This is a serious issue for me, if I can't use the tool correctly then I need to consider a different tool.

The answer seems to be a wheel gun, probably .38 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel but has to be carried in an IWB holster and easily concealed, as my Glock is. I can carry multiple speed loaders in .38 with no issues (I currently carry 2 spare mags for the Glock.) The biggest question is, since most shooting opportunities/requirements are going to be less than 20 feet as measured from my station to the main door, how much difference is there in accuracy between a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel? I am pretty good with my backup .38 but now looking at maybe having to use that as a primary. Probably not going to .357 due to possible over penetraton and excess noise. If you were betting someone's life on your accuracy, would you bet on a 2 inch barrel, 3 inch or 4 inch (probably not feasible due to concealment issues).

So, it comes down to being able to man my position in a professional manner with a tool I can use, or give up my position if I can't man the position accurately.
Try Recover Tactical, I started having similar issues, these 2 add ons make life a lot easier, it added a rail for the 43 X as well as a rack assist.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 27
I have carried a Glock 30S in .45 ACP for quite a few years. I am on my church self defense team and have qualified well with the Glock. I recently found, due to advancing age and lack of strength in my primary hand that I had difficulties clearing a stove pipe jam and then found I could not reload a magazine even using the mag loader. This is a serious issue for me, if I can't use the tool correctly then I need to consider a different tool.

The answer seems to be a wheel gun, probably .38 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel but has to be carried in an IWB holster and easily concealed, as my Glock is. I can carry multiple speed loaders in .38 with no issues (I currently carry 2 spare mags for the Glock.) The biggest question is, since most shooting opportunities/requirements are going to be less than 20 feet as measured from my station to the main door, how much difference is there in accuracy between a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel? I am pretty good with my backup .38 but now looking at maybe having to use that as a primary. Probably not going to .357 due to possible over penetraton and excess noise. If you were betting someone's life on your accuracy, would you bet on a 2 inch barrel, 3 inch or 4 inch (probably not feasible due to concealment issues).

So, it comes down to being able to man my position in a professional manner with a tool I can use, or give up my position if I can't man the position accurately.
I would get a 686 round but 2.5” and load with 38+p very accurate great shooter and surprisingly easily concealed. And have one Speer loader I’m 357 incase you do have to penetrate. Just my opinion

In the 70's most all of LEO's I worked with/around carried either their choice or issued wheelguns, we counted on them as much as current LEO's do their Glocks and AR's. We usually came out on top with our wheelguns. Key was becoming proficient with it every time. Higher capacity is nice but more errant rounds in a Church especially, I'd opt for one or two well placed rounds, that stops most BG's.

If ya on security detail…ya wanna not drop capacity imo. I’d go with something like a s&w equalizer in 9mm that has up to 15 round capacity and specifically designed with easy slide rack technology for cases such as yours. Still packs enough in a mag and a quick reload is an ease. That my lil opinion.
View attachment 5743864View attachment 5743865
Great advice here

Back
Top Bottom