Swords for SHTF

Is a combat-ready sword an appropriate prep for a long-term SHTF?

• Total voters
Yep, have a few high end ones, and a few mid grade, but highly usable ones. They would for sure go with me if something went down, they can't jam or run out of ammo.

And just so you guys know the coldsteel swords although well made are 99% marketing hype. You can get a much better sword for much less. And if you want to spend those amounts you can get some awesome real handmade swords.

Yeah dude, links please. The only other swords that seem worthy and proven with brutal testing are from Zombietools.net, and they are super awesome, but not any cheaper.

I believe bladed weapons have a purpose. Sometimes you need to be quiet. The Japanese Katana was not meant to be a primary battle weapon. It was meant to be a defense weapon of last resort. The primary weapon on the battlefield would be a Yari or spear or some other pole weapon like a Halberd or something similar.

The Japanese sword has several different designs, varying in length. The Katana was meant to be worn blade facing skyward in the obi or belt of a walking warrior. The cutting edge faced upward for a couple reasons. The basic draw would be to pull the entire sword and saya (Sheath) out of the belt forward in a lunging type motion and then pull the saya backward off the sword with the left hand, either putting it back in the belt or removing it for use as a parrying weapon. Sometimes the saya was thrown on the ground if there was no real expectation of coming out of the situation alive. One main reason for not drawing the blade out of the saya with the right hand is the fact that the relatively weak wood glued together with rice glue can shatter and come apart. If you were pulling the sword out with force and this happened, you can expect to get your left hand cut to pieces.

After the blade was out of the saya, the blade would be used either in a slashing motion or a piercing motion. A proper cut with a Katana would result in a pushing motion against what was being cut. This would result in not only a good cut but would push the opponent away from you while you were cutting. The "Movie" slashing motion would just be really bloody and most likely would result in pulling the bleeding victim on top of you. The proper sword cuts can not be taught by themselves. The proper cuts are a direct result of something called Taijutsu or "The Art of Moving the Body". Once a person has trained in proper body movement long enough, then a sword or other weapons can be introduced with relative ease. If the body moves correctly, then learning a weapon is is easy as thinking of it as an extension of the body. If you don't use proper body movement, they you are most certain to cut your own leg or arm off. Same thing goes for pole weapons. Go and try to twirl a 6 foot staff and see that you don't knock yourself silly a few times. You body MUST move correctly or you will feel pain.

The other longer version, Tachi, were meant for mounted cavalry and were worn blade facing down so it was easier to draw in an upward motion while on horseback. A horseman would pull his sword skyward to draw and then come slashing down on his opponents. Another way to use a longer sword would be in a stabbing motion. That is why the longer sword had a more pronounced curve to it. It was easier to stab a foot soldier with. The mounted soldier would carry the sword in his hand slung low beside the horse and raise it to pierce his target while riding past. Most likely the mounted soldier would not consider his sword a primary weapon either. He would probably begin the battle with either a longbow or a pole weapon of some kind.

WHEW... with all that said, I do have a hand folded Henwai forged katana with a 28.25" long blade. That length is perfect for my height. I have practiced with it for years and to say, I am decent but no movie star with it. I have also learned to repair nicks or imperfections in the blade and give it a rudimentary sharpening and polishing. A proper sharpening/polishing job can take an entire month or to complete so they get expensive.

I have more fun using a wooden training sword called a Bokken or a bamboo strip sword called a Shinai. With the Shinai you can whack away at training partners without experiencing a lot of pain. Occasionally you can get a good pinch, however when you skin gets pinched between to of the bamboo strips. I have learned to correct this by sewing a leather sheath to lace over the lenght of the bamboo blade. This makes it a lot easier on each other. The bokken on the other hand is not something that you want to hit each other with. It is a lethal weapon. It is a hardwood blade the same size as a Katana. It can split a head wide open and has many times.

If I were to need to use a sword to actually kill somebody, it would be most likely to take out a sentinal or to cut down people silently while I was trying to get somewhere. I would use it in exactly the same manner as a silenced pistol. If you have a silenced pistol, you probably don't need a sword in my opinion. Some people say that the pistol replaced the sword. I don't think I completely agree with that. The loud report created by a pistol blast to kill a guy is like yelling at the top of your voice, "HEY, I JUST KILLED YOUR BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" come and get me. Another drawback of using a pistol in tight quarters is that anyone in the general area will instantly experience hearing loss, either temporary or permanant. Yet another reason to be silent.

What I can say with ALL CERTAINTY, is that if you ever are reduced to using a sword, you will experience more blood and gore than you have ever imagined. It is not a pretty sight. Imagine a couple gallons of blood, water and raw sewage being poured out of a 5 gallon bucket in your living room floor. It is not pretty and even if you are the one doing the cutting, expect to hurl your stomach contents all over the floor violently. It is not glamourous like in the movies. There's arteries spewing and emptying out everywhere... The heart will not stop beating immediately and it will pump the body dry all over the place. I would much rather get shot than sliced through in a vital part of my body. What a horrid death.

Sorry to ruin your lunch but I feel obliged to share.

Here is mine.
japanese-swords-paul-chen-practical-katana.jpg

Last edited:
A word of warning to the wise. Please do not take a decorative wall hanger alloy sword and try to use it. Please do not sharpen it and pretend it will cut things. You will run a huge risk of breaking the blade and sending the pound or so of cheap sharpened shattered metal flying toward a person or property. The decorative blades you find at flea markets will bend or break in a heartbeat. In my opinion, they should all be destroyed like a crappy Lorcin pistol. A lorcin pistol is a much better weapon than one of these replicas. It is like trying to fire ammo out of a pot metal replica rifle. Somebody is going to get hurt.

If you want a sword, they can be acquired for about the same price as a Hi-Point 9mm. Would you trust your life to something less than a Hi-Point? I think not, spend as much on a sword as you would on a gun and you will probably be fine. Oh and stainless sucks and will shatter. There is also no differential tempering to absorb impact forces.

I have a Lord of the Rings movie sword that is Frodo's "Sting." Supposedly it glows blue if Orcs are around. I have never seen it glow blue. But I've never been to New Zealand either, LOL. I used to have the sword of Gandalf, but ended up selling it a few years back.

A word of warning to the wise. Please do not take a decorative wall hanger alloy sword and try to use it. Please do not sharpen it and pretend it will cut things. You will run a huge risk of breaking the blade and sending the pound or so of cheap sharpened shattered metal flying toward a person or property. The decorative blades you find at flea markets will bend or break in a heartbeat. In my opinion, they should all be destroyed like a crappy Lorcin pistol. A lorcin pistol is a much better weapon than one of these replicas. It is like trying to fire ammo out of a pot metal replica rifle. Somebody is going to get hurt.

If you want a sword, they can be acquired for about the same price as a Hi-Point 9mm. Would you trust your life to something less than a Hi-Point? I think not, spend as much on a sword as you would on a gun and you will probably be fine. Oh and stainless sucks and will shatter. There is also no differential tempering to absorb impact forces.

So are there quality, battle grade swords available for less than the $400-$700 that Cold Steel or Zombie Tools want? I am more interested in a US 1860 Heavy Cavalry Saber, or a British style cavalry saber, because of their size, intended use, and that they were meant to compliment an warrior who is also armed with both pistol and rifle. That said, I am open to eastern style or dark-age swords, and would look at any websites of other reputable sword makers.

I have a Lord of the Rings movie sword that is Frodo's "Sting." Supposedly it glows blue if Orcs are around. I have never seen it glow blue. But I've never been to New Zealand either, LOL. I used to have the sword of Gandalf, but ended up selling it a few years back.

Orcs are a legitimate threat, and we should take them seriously. I'm very glad that you have an orc early warning system in place, taking the form of your Frodo sword. Keep us abreast of any such attacks. I would love to have a war-ready Aragorn sword for sure.

I think he is joking. Those of us who ARE ninjas don't say we are ninjas!

Oh and yes a good quality folded carbon steel katana called the "Practical Katana" by Paul Chen and the Henwei forge can be had for less than $200. They make higher quality ones also ut dont look there to find one with all that crappy Gaijin decoration and dragons and stuff. The same cutting quality is still there in the Practical Katana.

Back
Top Bottom