• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Synthetic Oil

i change mine around the first weekend of fall,winter,spring,summer
and that helps me to remember i need to change the home ac filter as
well

*i use syn blend btw. have never run full syn

5K on regular, 7.5K on ANY synthetic (Group III or IV or mix), 10K on Group IV synthetic, like Amsoil.
Use a good filter. Wix/Napa Gold, M1, Bosch Long Life, Purolator PureOne, K&N.
Put a couple of rare earth magnets on the filter to catch particles too small for the filter media. I get them from the old hard drives. Move magnets on new filters AFTER you take the filter off the car.

5K on regular, 7.5K on ANY sythetic, 10K on Group IV synthetic, like Amsoil.
Use a good filter. Wix/Napa Gold, M1, Bosch Long Life, Purolator PureOne, K&N.
Put a couple of rare earth magnets on the filter to catch particles to small for the filter media. I get them from the old hard drives. Move magnets on new filters AFTER you take the filter off the car.

I seen magnets on drain plugs. But on the filter might be better idea.

I like them on filters because metal is so much thinner so magnets are more effective (unless you use a magnetic drain plug, but then one magnet is working in 4-5 qrts of oil, whereas 2 magnets on the oil filter clean only a few ounces of oil at a time). I put 2 or 3 around the filter. If they are rare earth, they will stay put.

A good friend of mine bought a 2010 Chevy Silverado new. Uses only full synthetic oil. Dealership changed oil and filter every 10,000 miles until his motor locked up at 45,000 ish miles. Dealership put in a new crate motor after several months of back and forth.

My theory is this. Motor oil, no matter if it's full synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional is going to get dirty. It's part of running a gasoline combustion engine. Carbon, dirt etc. Oil doesn't have to break down to get dirty. Oil is cheap compared to the alternative of ruining an engine.
I change mine every 3000 miles. Check oil level at every fill up. The piece of mind is well worth it.

While synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly as regular oil. But look at the picture. The smallest dark circle represents the 1-5 micron particle size that wears out your motor. The second larger open circle represents how big it has to be to be captured in a standard spin on oil filter. So the reason for changing your oil is removing the particles that will wear out your motor View attachment 1069078

Actually, several studies have concluded that particles between 2u - 50u cause the most wear. If you can get a filter that traps 99% of 10u or larger particles, you're doing pretty good.

As for me, I'm still using Dino oil and I change it between 5k-7k. I've never blown up, or lost compression on an engine yet. My cars get pretty ratty before I get rid of them, but the engines are still good.

If I were using synthetic, I'd change at 15k intervals, with a filter change at 7.5k miles. No real reason for me to use it unless I was towing all the time or I lived in a cold climate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine bought a 2010 Chevy Silverado new. Uses only full synthetic oil. Dealership changed oil and filter every 10,000 miles until his motor locked up at 45,000 ish miles. Dealership put in a new crate motor after several months of back and forth.

My theory is this. Motor oil, no matter if it's full synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional is going to get dirty. It's part of running a gasoline combustion engine. Carbon, dirt etc. Oil doesn't have to break down to get dirty. Oil is cheap compared to the alternative of ruining an engine.
I change mine every 3000 miles. Check oil level at every fill up. The piece of mind is well worth it.

The 10k oil synthetic oil changes wouldn't have caused that engine to lock up unless someone forgot to replace the oil plug. Something else failed for the engine to die that prematurely.

I ran into a guy years ago who had a Nissan Sentra with 450,000 miles on the odometer. It ran like a top and didn't smoke at all. I remarked that he must keep his oil changed very regularly. His reply? "I used to change it every 5,000 miles. At 175,000 miles, I realized I could replace the engine with a junkyard motor for less than I was spending on oil changes. So since then, it's been changed every 15,000 miles with conventional oil. Of course, I'm on my 4th junkyard transmission...". It was an eye-opening discussion.

One thing's for sure, changing your oil every 3k won't hurt anything other than your wallet....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input, stories and suggestions.....
I think I'm gonna stick with every 5000 miles and since I change my own oil I could stretch it out to 7500 miles if I had to.
Thanks again !

Back
Top Bottom