• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Synthetic Oil

This^^^^

When Advance/Auto Zone or alike run "sales", it only makes their oil as cheap as WalMart's normal prices.

That's exactly right. Dad told me the other day that for every X quarts he buys at Auto Zone he get's $5.00 off. I said why don't you just go to WalMart and get that price without all the hoops?

I'm with two-eagles, AMSOIL in everything i got, even my boat. Change the filter about 11000 mile and the oil once a year. I use my birth date to change everything out.

7500 is no prob. for today's synthetics. The filter is probably the point of failure to be concerned about so buy a good one. I have 265k on my 04 Yukon and always change it around 5k. That's with conventional mobile oil.
Even at that you should be fine. So much less blow by and other variables in newer engines that don't get dirty as fast. Of course as you get past 200k you will want to adjust your service intervals.

if you are serious about knowing when to change the oil in your vehicle, send a few samples of oil to Blackstone Labs. They will do an oil analysis and tell you exactly what is in the oil and the levels of all of the additives in the oil. Send samples in at 3k, 5k, 8k and 10k and they will tell you exactly when (in their opinion) you should change your oil (given the same style of driving and oils).

Buddy works with large industrial motors/generators and this is what they use. it's not rocket science, just send them a few samples and they will tell you when the oil is bad. Plus they can tell by what other stuff is in the oil if you are going to have issues with top end, bottom end, etc.

Read one of their reports and see what you can find out about your motor.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas-engine-sample-report-1.php

Don't guess, get a professional opinion based upon years of analysis and data. it's not that expensive and if you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a while, it's worth it.

Meh, when Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic is $25 a gallon, it's cheap to do oil changes frequently. On the bikes and ATVs I probably do them more often than I really need to, but there is peace of mind knowing that there is always clean, quality oil in there...

His engine locked up because the dirty oil caused scarring and the oil journals were clogged enough to cause insufficient oil flow. Doesn't take much grit / dirt in the tighter tolerances in newer modern engines. The dealership and the rep from G M are the ones who diagnosed it. Dealership did every oil change from day one. $30.00 every 3 or 4 months doesn't hurt my wallet too much. Like I said. The peace of mind makes it more than worth it. I do all my own maintenance and repairs and I enjoy doing it.
That may be the case, but if so there was something wrong with the oil. Or they ripped him and charged for something he didn't get.
No modern engine should fail that way, that early.
But then again they were trying to get out of the expense of replacing an engine, so I don't know that I would take their word on it.

Back
Top Bottom