• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk me out of a safe

this might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer a steel gun cabinet. Not fire rated, and can probably be pried open fairly easily, but it keeps the kids out, cost $150, and was light enough to carry up the stairs myself :)
It's common sense. How many threads over the years have we read that were entitled, "My safe was broken into while I was at work!" or "Be on the lookout for these stolen guns!"

My advice for folks with any appreciable collection of firearms is:
1.) Insurance (not riders on your homeowners, but collectibles insurance)
2.) A MONITORED alarm system (with monitored smoke detectors), preferably with cameras.
3.) Some kind of cabinet or safe for fire protection for irreplaceable firearms.

Nearly all affordable, commercial safes can be broken into in a matter of minutes if you watch a few youtube criminal university videos.

It's common sense. How many threads over the years have we read that were entitled, "My safe was broken into while I was at work!" or "Be on the lookout for these stolen guns!"

2.) A MONITORED alarm system (with monitored smoke detectors), preferably with cameras.
3.) Some kind of cabinet or safe for fire protection for irreplaceable firearms.

Nearly all affordable, commercial safes can be broken into in a matter of minutes if you watch a few youtube criminal university videos.
Yes, layered security is a good idea.

How common is it for a safe to be broken into? I am thinking the meth-magicians out where I am wouldn’t be likely to have much more than a circular saw at best. But I am only guessing.

Sir, if it's ok with you, please give a bit of info on what you are building. Many thanks.
I haven’t got all the material yet. Just a pic in my head. May be a while.. if ever finishing, I don’t know if I want anyone knowing altogether. I’ve built several on the job (BIG tool boxes) out of stainless steel.

How common is it for a safe to be broken into? I am thinking the meth-magicians out where I am wouldn’t be likely to have much more than a circular saw at best. But I am only guessing.
Pretty common for big box store type safes. I can't tell you how many "safes" I've seen standing out in the room or just placed against a wall when I've visited folks homes to talk guns. The meth heads don't need to know about Archimedes when they have youtube. SafeCracka SafeCracka can advise on what type of safe you should buy. The only one I'd trust to keep my guns protected was one like that we had in the arms room in high school. It took 8 men to move it downstairs in the old building when we opened the new range on Upper River Road in Macon.

Back
Top Bottom