• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

People would be more willing to talk to police if their job was about finding the truth. It isn't. Their job is to make cases. No cop ever got promoted because he could suss out the truth.

I don't have a lawyer on retainer at my beckon call. If it's clearly cut and dry you answered your own question
I have no problem with a cop asking me questions, I was relieved when the police finally showed up after my incident. They were very kind (except one who was ordered to gtfo by his sgt). Several were talking to me and giving me kind words of support. One of the detectives kept in touch with me for about a year afterwards checking up in me to make sure I was still ok

I don't have a lawyer on retainer at my beckon call. If it's clearly cut and dry you answered your own question
I have no problem with a cop asking me questions, I was relieved when the police finally showed up after my incident. They were very kind (except one who was ordered to gtfo by his sgt). Several were talking to me and giving me kind words of support. One of the detectives kept in touch with me for about a year afterwards checking up in me to make sure I was still ok

You hit the lottery...

Or maybe the responding officers hit the lottery by responding to and helping a genuine victim whom they could empathize with.

Also true. Given how police have to deal with the scum of the Earth all the time, they probably do appreciate a case where they can actually help out a good person. I'm not going to bet my life on it though... I'll still have a lawyer there before giving them a detailed account.

Let officer know you will discuss once your lawyer is present.

Don't even do this.

When your lawyer shows up and tells you to STFU, your earlier statement can come back to haunt you -- "well, Mr. Smith, you were willing to talk until you talked to your lawyer, weren't you"

There's a reason the Miranda warning starts out "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT."

"ANY THING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU" That's "ANY THING", so just STFU.

If you absolutely positively had to say something, ask "am I free to go" and if they say "yes", STFU and go.

If they say "no" then you know it's not as cut and dried and you thought, and now STFU.'

Do you see a theme here?

Back
Top Bottom