• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

Repeat the phrase, "I was in fear for my life" until you talk to your lawyer.
Tell them you want to exercise your right to remain silent.

Yep, just the bare facts and articulate you thought your life or an innocent was in danger.

Georgia isn't New Jersey and we have stand your ground law.

You may very well be absolutely right. My information is from training in California and from over 30 years ago.

One of my friends from back home was an assistant district attorney in Los Angeles. He was known for his ability to perform miracles when it came to "creative report writing"

In any situation a certain amount of sh*t happens. What you say in a report requires a certain amount of brevity and editing.

As a civilian involved in a shooting. A remark or statement misspoken or intentionally misconstrued by investigators can land you in Geoge Zimmermans shoes.

The police may employ a tactic to provoke a response to make you say something you may regret.

Anything you say can and will used against you in a court of law. Many people have written statements that later turned around and bit them in the ass.

Hey it's your life, roll the dice. What's the worst that could happen?
George Zimmerman was originally cleared of charges based on his articulation, and eventually as well. However he was prosecuted because of political pressure. No lawyer would have kept that from happening as it was a complete sham anyway.

Zimmerman is the perfect example of why you need to help the police, but not 'too much'. He didn't hold back anything, and told the police his side of the events multiple times. He even walked them through everything on site. All without a lawyer.

All that openness probably convinced the majority of the prosecutors that there was no point in charging him. But it also laid out everything in public documents that the Martin family lawyers could access in putting together the PR blitz.

Plus, our present leadership in Washington have clearly demonstrated he fallacy of the Rule of Law and Constitutional Rights.
Yet innocent people walk every day. Rare that someone that was totally in the right is prosecuted. Yes could you be abused, yes, but even George Zimmerman was exonerated. Too bad he's such a screw up in the rest of his life.

I believe I would give a short account of my actions, emphasizing my fear and stressing that I just wanted them to stop what they were doing, after I had calmed down a bit.
Any detailed account would be later after I had time to collect my thoughts.

Anyone that's ever had to pull the trigger knows this discussion is bull ****, 95% of the advice in here is bull ****...mostly on based on news reports and incidents in places like Miami, Chicago and all the other Liberal cess pools that people have read ads about and watched videos by the "experts" that love to play on your paranoia, all for the price of "hit the LIKE button in the bottom right corner and subscribe"
If you're not will to use the weapon for fear of getting into "trouble", get rid of it

Yet innocent people walk every day. Rare that someone that was totally in the right is prosecuted. Yes could you be abused, yes, but even George Zimmerman was exonerated. Too bad he's such a screw up in the rest of his life.

While not a self defense case, a good example is the police case in Baltimore. You didn't see the cops making statements to other cops. They lawyered up first thing (through their union), didn't point the finger at each other, and got off because the State had nothing to use as evidence. You can bet if the first one had said anything (or tried to "explain it") someone would have gone to jail.

The cops couldn't explain it well enough to make it go away, and you think you can do better?

Look the part 2. of the video above, where a real life cop says no has never "not gone to jail" because they "explained it."

If you ever hear yourself saying "I can explain this, officer" you're already screwed.

Back
Top Bottom