• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@tazz and I are discussing Brunswick Stew...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
Tazz Tazz : "His is a little chunky, but everybody seems to have their own opinion on what exactly "Brunswick Stew" really is. I had a step-grandmother in the late 60's who lived in Brunswick, when we visited her we always went to different BBQ joints. I remember having it both smooth & chunky down there, but probably 98% of em' made it like you're talking about with that smooth consistency. To me though, the main thing is the taste, if it doesn't taste worth a damn then I don't care about the consistency. My son's stew is pretty dang good, he cooks it in one of those cast iron pots with hot coals piled on top of the lid. He got his cooking talent from his Mom & my Dad, but he just started experimenting with the stew a few months ago and now he's got it right. The meats he cooks on his grill & smoker are amazing!"

I agree that the taste has to be there, but I can't get past people calling chunky stuff Brunswick Stew. I know that BBQ, and thus Stew, are very selective and we take it seriously in the South. I guess it all depends on how your were raised and which stew you were raised w. My people's have been making the smooth BS for my entire life. Sprayberry's (let's not start on them-no one likes their BBQ) does have good stew and it is ground. The first time in my entire life ever having chunky BS was in my mid/late 20's from my boss's brother that owned a BBQ place somewhere in S GA. It was good and we argued all weekend about whether it was Brunswick Stew or not. I contend that it not. Right or wrong, who knows? I do know that the recipe that my family used goes back 200+ years, so... :behindsofa:

While everyone else is fighting about whether or not they want to meet each other, Tazz Tazz and I are actual neighbors and friends. We live less than 1.5 miles apart. I could just go over and we could discuss him being wrong about Brunswick Stew, but it's much more fun on the interwebs, where I can sit in my underwear and debate the finer culinary delicacies of the South (for some reason he insists on my wearing clothes when I visit :noidea:).

And, Tazz, as an aside, I am now starving and you have talked me into going to Oink Joint. Need anything?

I kinda like Sprayberry's BBQ except it's too expensive but last time we went the stew was like soup. I'd like to try some of your families stew if you were able to swipe me a bowl or two next time some gets made. It sounds really good.

My brother has a recipe that uses a pork shoulder and a chicken and who knows what else. But it was the best I've had. He only made it once because it's so labor-intensive and it made a few GALLONS. Lol...

Everyone that I know who makes BS the old fashion way (in the cast iron wash pot); makes a huge amount. All the old recipes made enough to feed the whole town or to eat on for weeks. My boss still makes it the old fashioned way and it takes him 3 days and cost unknown amount of money because it does require so much meat. His has chicken, pork and beef. It is good!!

While everyone else is fighting about whether or not they want to meet each other, Tazz Tazz and I are actual neighbors and friends. We live less than 1.5 miles apart. I could just go over and we could discuss him being wrong about Brunswick Stew, but it's much more fun on the interwebs, where I can sit in my underwear and debate the finer culinary delicacies of the South (for some reason he insists on my wearing clothes when I visit :noidea:).

And, Tazz, as an aside, I am now starving and you have talked me into going to Oink Joint. Need anything?

I want an ODT neighbor! Unless they're a thread-closing Commie. Then I'll just stick to myself.

Thanks dude, but I'm goid for the moment. Our next door neighbor brought over some cubed steak with onions, mushrooms & gravy and a hashbrown casserole topped with bacon. Good God that ladies cooking is GOOD! Lol! Maybe next time though, I want one of their "Texan sammiches" that thang is yummy! Lol!

I kinda like Sprayberry's BBQ except it's too expensive but last time we went the stew was like soup. I'd like to try some of your families stew if you were able to swipe me a bowl or two next time some gets made. It sounds really good.

No one has made it since my grandmother passed. I keep threatening to do it, but I don't have a wash pot. I am drawn to the old ways of doing things. I am still going to build me a smoke house one of these days. But, the next time the boss makes some, I will get you a bowl.

Everyone that I know who makes BS the old fashion way (in the cast iron wash pot); makes a huge amount. All the old recipes made enough to feed the whole town or to eat on for weeks. My boss still makes it the old fashioned way and it takes him 3 days and cost unknown amount of money because it does require so much meat. His has chicken, pork and beef. It is good!!

Right!?! I think his has 3 meats also. I also think he uses a stick blender to blend up some lima beans to use as a thickening agent. I'm sure any good recipe is expensive because all the ingredients! Now y'all got me wanting some Brunswick Stew!

Back
Top Bottom