Tell me about Subaru Outbacks...Maybe Crossteks too

I own a paid for 2010 Soul and I am about to have the front wheel bearings replaced AGAIN to the tune of $630.00. The Kia we have has not had a catastrophic failure but it has nickel and dimed me to death. For a while it just ate coil packs one at the time. It had to have a starter and a crank sensor. It has some problem with a valve between the fuel tank and filler neck that keeps the idiot light on. If you put gas in it with it turned off it will take a while to crank it back up. I'm just glad it has a timing chain and not a belt. It's kinda like they built these cars with all Auto Zone parts.
Again, during my time at the Brunswick port we routinely had to call for jump starts on Kia Souls and that stupid ass Hyundai Velositer. Lots of them came off the ships with bad headlights/taillights. They just cut too many corners to me.
Have you been in a newer Hyundai/Kia? My wifes palisade is top notch. They have changed a lot as a company in the past 12 years.

How is the shoulder room? I'm a big dude, so in a small car I cramp my wife if there isn't much shoulder room.

I used to have a HHR I used as a company vehicle. Made the mistake of driving to Charleston with the wife in it one time thinking the fuel savings would make it worth it. She dang near flew home.

i sat in a crosstrek when i was car shopping a few years ago. im 6'3" 300lbs and i was able to get in it.......but it is cramped for me. would not want to ride in it for more than a few minutes lol. and in the drivers seat...my head was cocked to the side. imo i would go with an outback, much more comfortable for bigger people.

NWSharpshooter NWSharpshooter

My seats have plenty of shoulder room and though I'm not a "big guy" 5'-11" 200lb. I do have broad shoulders. We've met and you shouldn't have issues. I bought the Crosstrek after owning a evo MR which had zero shoulder room with the Recaro seats. I bring this up because driving the AWD MR was a blast. When I searched for a more practical vehicle, I chose the Crosstrek because it was fun to drive. It handles well for what it is. The multitude of other vehicles didn't have the spirit of the Crosstrek.

Edit* I will buy another Crosstrek within two years. My daughter just bought a Telluride and it's smooth.

My 2018 Outback has been enjoyable. No issues after 40k . I do add half a quart of oil between changes every 6k. I really liked the Forester test drive until I drove the Outback. I get 31 mpg hiway. Forester has great visibility and handling around town, but Outback handles just as well with more room and better ride. Blown head gaskets in Subarus have been resolved since 2010.

Have you been in a newer Hyundai/Kia? My wifes palisade is top notch. They have changed a lot as a company in the past 12 years.
Newest I have driven were 19s. The Telluride was just coming into Brunswick when we left. I did like those because they had a traditional looking dash layout and they didn't look like every other SUV these days.
If I could take my pick of any later model Kia it would be the Sedona minivan. It has always gotten rave reviews even when Kia's sales numbers were in the toilet. They almost pulled out of the U.S market about 15 years ago.

i sat in a crosstrek when i was car shopping a few years ago. im 6'3" 300lbs and i was able to get in it.......but it is cramped for me. would not want to ride in it for more than a few minutes lol. and in the drivers seat...my head was cocked to the side. imo i would go with an outback, much more comfortable for bigger people.
I didn't like Crosstreks either. It was like an in between compromise of a vehicle. It doesn't have enough room to do much and it's not Honda Fit size so you get really good MPG.

Back
Top Bottom