• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The FBI is going back to 9mm.

I know it does...and made that point earlier in the thread. Most of those ballistics gelatin vids on youtube only show the 9mm wonderbullets against standard 45 ACP and nobody questions it.
even apples for apples if that can even be implied, deeper longer wound channel with the 9.....my dad can beat up your dad!!! LOL its the age old adage ... holes cause bleeding.....missing damaged issue either way

Regarding wounding, I'm in agreement with Protective Measures. The extra energy of one pistol bullet over another is basically irrelevant. In the case of a .45, some of that energy is spent deforming the bullet. Obviously, a larger bullet takes more energy to deform.

The temporary cavity from handgun rounds doesn't surpass the elastic limits of most tissue, therefore it doesn't tear, and that energy just turns into heat-- but not enough heat to burn it, just to raise the temperature a few degrees. 100 ft-lbs of energy is 32 calories, or enough energy to raise one ounce of water (or tissue) about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit. This isn't going to affect wounding.

Now, liver tissue isn't elastic, so temp stretch cavity is destructive there. But most other tissue will simply un-stretch back into place. From a rifle though-- any bullet above around 2000 fps-- then the temp stretch cavity does exceed most tissue's elastic limits, and the tissue tears. This causes bleeding. Tearing the tissue-- think about the broadhead arrow-- does cause bleeding and the more of that, the faster blood pressure drops, leading to the desired outcome-- the fight ends.

See the work of Dr. Martin Fackler, etc.-- I'm just repeating what I've read over the years. I have no experience with this, outside of hunting with rifles.

There's been a lot of good work done in this area since 1986, and some of it is counterintuitive. That's science.

One other comment-- recoil is proportional to momentum, not energy. Momentum is mass times velocity-- energy is mass times velocity squared. You can have lots of energy, and low momentum (5.7, or .22 TCM). Or lots of momentum, and little energy (a bowling ball). This isn't necessarily intuitive, but it is reality. "Felt recoil" is something else, with a lot of other variables-- grip size, barrel height above hand, recoil spring force, grip strength, weight of gun, etc. All those affect the perception of recoil, but the momentum transfer is what is is-- multiply the bullet weight by the velocity, and if you're a purist, add in the powder charge weight times 5000 fps. That number, in whatever units you want, is the actual "recoil". More energy does not necessarily equal more recoil. FWIW.

(If you play with this, you'll quickly discover that a large proportion, maybe half, of the recoil from rifle cartridges is due to the powder...)

Truth is, it's just fun to debate this stuff. There are probably thousands of variables more important, and more relevant to your success in a firefight than if the piece of lead flying at the attacker is .355" or .454"

Agreed... except the actual size of a .45ACP is considered to be either .451 or.452:)

Back
Top Bottom