• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "malfunction inducing" stick

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
One of the regular things that I teach with carbines (or any firearm for that matter) is clearing malfunctions. The normal procedure is that I show the students how it is done step-by-step, then I do it all the way through "live" so they can see it. Then I have the students do it, first step-by-step with me calling out the steps, then have them go all the way through on their own when commanded. We go through several iterations until all the students have it down pat. Fairly standard instructional method, and it works.

The problem is, the students get it just fine while that is the current training drill, but later in the day you'll see a student have a "real" malfunction and they vapor lock. Oftentimes, myself or one of the other Instructors have to verbally walk them through clearing it.

I kept thinking to myself, "It would be great if I could induce malfunctions randomly throughout the day, when students weren't concentrating on malfunctions."

Enter the FU Stick. I took a very sturdy yardstick I found at Home Depot, over twice as thick as a regular yardstick. I wrapped the yardstick in black Gorilla tape. While students are shooting drills, such as Use of Cover, one of the Instructors will cover the ejection port of their carbine with the end of the FU Stick, inducing a malfunction. Most of the malfunctions are double-feeds or stovepipes.

So far the FU Stick has worked like a champ, but I have only used it on AR variants in .223/5.56. Not sure how well it will work on carbines with a more vigorous ejection than the AR.

One thing that I like to do is to use the snap caps, and have someone load them up at random intervals while im not looking. It helps some, and may be less obvious than a big stick pushing their weapon. Then again I have no idea how you are implementing the stick so I may be way off there.

During my time training privates on malfunctions, I found that a lot of their training centers around the immediate action of slap pull observe release tap and squeeze. They fail to progress to the remedial action portion. ie clearing the double feeds, and rounds stuck in the chamber. That does take a lot of training to get the muscle memory though.

We use dummy rounds as well, which works great for Immediate Action drills. The FU Stick causes more serious malfunctions that require Remedial Action to fix.

All we do is cover the ejection port with the flat of the stick, no pressure is applied to the weapon. In many cases the student doesn't even see us do it, depending in what drill they are shooting at the time.

Great training aid. If I were to go back to semi autos I would definitely hit up your class. Just to have that muscle memory. Good show sir.

need video!

I always found the dummy shells to be really easy, but it did ingrain the muscle memory to drop the mag and rack quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75n0Eo9Rn0

If you stop the video at 10-11 seconds you get a great view of the tool. I've made this by taking the implements from old fire place tools (poker / shovel) Bend the small ash shovel 60 degrees or so and you've got that professional tool!

Back
Top Bottom