• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Packhorse

Looking pretty good so far, thar sharps. I like the "Rusty" thread too, just finished it up as well. It's gonna be hard pressed to ever top that one I believe. If it could be done, you will do it though! Lol

Well, Rusty is a Sex Machine. But I think this here Packhorse is gonna be better than the Boobs of Thunder Roller Derby Team on No Pasties Night!

Last edited:
Wow...just wow! I haven't owned a wheel gun in along time and this thread made me seriously want one again! The work looks spectacular, you are seriously talented. How much time do you think you will have in it by the time you are done?

Couple dozen hours. Maybe 3 dozen. Mostly its a string of 30 minute jobs with lotsa of that bein spent lookin for the part I just dropped or the tool I was just using last week or......

My favorite is the 1860 Army Blackhawk.....cause I made it for Dad and it married my first gun (a percussion colt) to my other first gun, a Ruger Blackhawk 357. Then I gived it to him! He kinda likes it. Carries it in a carved Tom Threepersons cross draw holster from ElPaso Saddlery.

I finally got the ERH fitted to suit me. If anybody knows where I stashed my layout blue, please PM me. In any event, I was able to do the spotting in with pipe dope. Fit and try about 500 times.

The lines look better now up top with the bulk of the high spots gone.

i.imgur.com_RySir8M.jpg

Pretty good on the under side too. I don't think I can get it much closer, been doin about as much correction from over cutting as fitting on this part of the job. But its worked out and looks pretty good.

i.imgur.com_Vj9AdQa.jpg

The lay out on the business end is about right. The barrel band just behind the round over at the muzzle and the ERH right behind the barrel band, but not by much, its almost even.

i.imgur.com_DmIBFqX.jpg

Sanded out the file marks by hand and then smoothed things up with the jitter bug. Broke all the sharp edges on the front sight, especially up top. It'll all need some work bootstrapping with strips of sand paper yet but 90% and looking fine. And, the brass strips didn't fall out, yet. Last thing was to double check level and put 1.5 threads in the top of the barrel. There is a set screw under the sight. A second set screw is in place at the mid point of the ramp. I decided to make a weaver head screw, countersink the ramp and fit it this way. It'll allow me to easily find level on the final install and by catching 1.5 threads in the top of the barrel, in combination with the front set screw, no solder or epoxy will be required to hold the assembly perfect and forever. My guess is the fit will be tighter after rust browning the barrel anyway. Just in case, I broke the under side of the tail of the ramp. Don't want it scratching its way down the barrel when I drive it back on for the last time. Just gotta shorten up that mid ramp screw and move back to the back. The lanyard mount needs a brass spacer and I think I'm going to scallop the frame and loading gate as well as back cut the loading gate.

i.imgur.com_GtWvsvi.jpg

Last of the parts are inbound. A hunter rear leaf and a longer rear sight elevation screw. I hope to have this Packhorse ready for the range in its final brown, black and gold glory by the end of July or mid August.

All my chores at the house are done, lawn mowed, gate fixed, garage swept, car washed and vacuumed, lawn chairs cleaned and fire pit cleaned.....off the air conditioned shop.

First I finish the front sight ramp. Trim the screw, shape its head and fit it so it clocks muzzle to butt.

i.imgur.com_XLN5wib.jpg

Time again for scallops on the recoil shield.....first cut with the rat tail file.

i.imgur.com_flREfKX.jpg

Almost full depth.

i.imgur.com_I4hXCgx.jpg

Straighten and deepen with the round backed file. Run to the full depth made by the rat tail file.

i.imgur.com_8Cz9fgJ.jpg

Once back from the drill press, a bit final shaping and straightening with a 1" sanding drum.......

i.imgur.com_kKuOInc.jpg

i.imgur.com_PDBprLJ.jpg

i.imgur.com_vArsf94.jpg

i.imgur.com_Ub7h79C.jpg

Another bit of brass hinge to make up a decorative washer for the lanyard stud. Soldered in place and then turned to size.

i.imgur.com_DayWMVH.jpg

Beginning the rust browning process. First bite took quick and turned black. About 2 or 3 hours and we'll see where we're at.

i.imgur.com_jBH1gF7.jpg

First clean up with scalding hot tap water and a rough terry shows typical results. Spotting and rusting that's uneven. It'll build with time. I dried it and then scrubbed it lightly with 0000 steel wool to remove some of the red crust on the barrel. It was not rust. Perhaps some gunk in the metal that's coming out with the acids. Then, coated with Laurel Mountain Brown and back in the rust cabinet for another few hours.

i.imgur.com_dda1MzW.jpg

i.imgur.com_7tXoq3f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom