• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thermal hog eradication 14 down

Love the sig can! Sounds really great in an open field.
I started with a thermal monocular and each year upgraded until I got this Reap-ir a few months back. I love the Reap, but it is quite expensive.
To be clear right off the bat I don't sell, endorse, or work for or benefit at all from any dealer, manufacturer etc. this is just my opinion from being involved in the night vision/thermal world as a hunter/gun enthusiast and spending way too much time online reading about the stuff. I have looked through several thermals as well.
That said, IMHO, Quality is going up and prices are coming down. Pulsar is just releasing a couple new lines of thermal scopes. I think they are by far the best value in the industry.
The new Pulsar XQ scopes are a 384 resolution that are replacing the older XD scopes that were also 384 resolution.
Ok, so a year ago the pulsar apex XD38a, and apex XD50a (not to be confused with the Apex XD38 or the XD38s or XD50 or XD50s... the "s" is the same as not having a letter at the end. The "a" is different. It has an LCD screen which is not as good as the LED screen that comes on the "s" or the non "a" line). the XD50a was what many considered the best value in the industry. They were going for about $3500 less than a year ago.
Pulsar just released a new line. The Apex XQ38 (2.1x magnification, 17 micron core, 384 resolution, LED screen - $2500), and the Apex XQ50 (the Apex XQ38 is replacing the older model XD50 and the Apex XQ50 at 2.7x magnification is replacing the the old Apex XD75 "3x magnification"). Im pretty sure they aren't making any new scopes with the "not as good" LCD screen aka "a" models. Confusing I know. Bare with me. The new XQ line models have upgraded from a 25 micron core to a 17 micron (lower micron core is better-- it allows the scope to pull in more information with a smaller lens size which saves money because germanium lens' are expensive). They also all use the better LED screen so no more LCD screens or "a" models. The new Apex XQ38 is a 2x (2.1x) magnification $2500... (the old Apex xd50 and xd50a were the 2x mag).
There is also a new "trail" line. The Trail XQ30 (trail XQ30 replaces the old Apex XD38 at 1.5x zoom but it has all the features of the trail. I don't believe there is a new Apex XQ30), Trail XQ38 and trail XQ50. The trail line has a lot of new features like internal recording, QD mount, wifi to stream directly to a phone/computer, internal battery pack, holds multiple zeros and maybe a couple others.
Also, LRF = laser range finder. Some of these new scopes come with a laser range finder that mounts to the side of the scope.
Also, also, the XP line is the new 640 resolution scope. Pulsar didn't previously make a 640 resolution scope.

So depending on your budget, what magnification you want and what features you want, I would take a hard look at the apex XQ38, Apex XQ50, trail XQ30, trail XQ38, and trail XQ50.

MOre magnification is better for identifying what live creature is what species and better for the initial shot. Less magnification is better for scanning and spotting live creatures and for follow up shots on moving targets. Remember at night u can't really see anything when you're not lookin through the scope. Personally I really like the new xq38. And to me the extra $300 is worth the features you get from the trail line.An external recorder, cord, external battery pack cost over $300 as is. And to me being able to zero one scope on multiple guns with a mount that detached quick and returns to zero within an inch at 100 yards allows me to do a lot more with one scope (I use Bobro QD mounts that return to zero really well with my day optics on my guns and the Reap-ir has 4 preset zeros so I can use it on multiple guns also without having to go back to the range to rezero day scopes/thermal every time I switch them around ).
I also have an order for a new pulsar trail XQ38 on the way. I think it's gonna be the best value and compromise overall for a good while. It won't compare to the image quality of the Reap-IR but it will work fine for night hunting out to 200 yards, as a back up spotter and set up for a guest hunter. Also keep in mind that the view through the lens of the Reap-IR is way better than the video you see. It downgrades quality when putting it on video. The pulsar scopes will do the same thing. I'm told they come with an internal microphone but will require a firmware upgrade at some point when pulsar has the firmware update ready in order to record with sound and that firmware upgrade will also upgrade the video quality when recording. More info below... hope that helps and isn't too jumbled and confusing.

75cf210910eeae7f69b97e5ae3e4adaa.jpg
75cf210910eeae7f69b97e5ae3e4adaa.jpg

http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/pulsar-new-thermals.6776/#post-78564

Video of pulsar trail XQ38 (recorded with external DVR so it does have sound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the IR Patrol. It's a phenomenal optic, but I wish I would have held out for the REAP IR. That was back before Trijicon bought out IR Defense. Still great, products. I have been debating buying the 2x magnifier which would make it very close to the REAP, but haven't shelled out the $1K bucks for it yet.

Good video.
I'm surprised more of them didn't run, and stay running until they were out of range.
What's with this "run for 3 seconds, trot for 2 more, and then stop to look around" stuff?
Don't they know when people are shooting at you, RUN, balls-to-the-wall???

I think the combination of using a suppressor and that group probably never having night hunting pressure on them and takin out the alpha sow early had the rest of the group pretty confused about where to run?? Who knows. It was a hell of a lotta fun though.

Fully aware of difference,happy with my ol white phosphorus LR.
View attachment 1346858

I actually had an IR Hunter MKII and sold it and upgraded to the Reap-IR.
I'll probably need a new tube for my Pvs-14. Haven't looked through a white phosphorus tube but heard good things. Is it really a noticeably better image than gen 3 filmless all other factors equal?

I actually had an IR Hunter MKII and sold it and upgraded to the Reap-IR.
I'll probably need a new tube for my Pvs-14. Haven't looked through a white phosphorus tube but heard good things. Is it really a noticeably better image than gen 3 filmless all other factors equal?

Once you look through White Phosphorus, you'll never go back to green. They are incredible compared to the green tubes. Here's a few comparison's I took. Quality kinda sucks because I was holding my phone up to the eye piece.

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2476.PNG

IMG_2477.PNG

Sweet thanks. U can tell a lot in the pic of the trail.

the clarity in person is unreal. I have also noticed a HUGE difference on really muggy nights or when there's a lot of fog. The green tubes have a lot of difficulty in this environment, even when I use anti fog solutions. The WP cuts right through it. They're pretty nasty.

Back
Top Bottom