• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on buying new Guns and "the Form"

I think there are some folks who probably over reacting and perhaps the opposite are also true with others. History has this worrisome way of repeating itself. Governments have always maneuvered for even yet more power=control. A systematic erosion of rights is the commonly employed model of disarming a society. The very first step is typically the registration of all or specific types of firearms. The current form while not specifically called registration is in fact one. Deny it all you want but your name, address, (possibly your SSN#, if given), type of weapon and serial number is logged and stored on a new weapon purchase. It is a violation of the intent of the law to prevent registration, despite its created legal loop hole, describing as other than a registration process. Government access is supposed to be restricted to that specific information based on a need to know. Laws change and with guns far too frequently to the loss of the citizen rights in the pursuit of perceived "public safety".

The anti-gun grabbing groups have an agenda. The most repeated currently is the "gun show loop hole". They are tirelessly pushing for yet further restrictions on private gun sales between lawful honest citizens. The new laws they purpose will mandate all private sales (and transfers) to go through an FFL. Why? In order to obtain a record (de facto registration) on the "form". It follows the format used in other successful disarming’s of the public.

Disarmament happens most often by apathy of a voiceless citizenry and in increments. It occurs because it is allowed by the very people it applies to. Pseudo-science and outright puffery are employed to "educate" the public on the evils of gun ownership. The best time to employ the "education" is during a crisis or tragic incident then force change/restriction.

If they can’t make headway on the guns then the ammunition that feeds them has been/is under attack. Some states require your name, address and signature on a log (registration) for pistol ammunition but not rifle. Some states mandate a card issued by the state to “allow” a citizen the right to purchase ammunition and yes a record is made of each transaction. Huge ammunition taxes have been introduced in the legislative process in order to “pay for the cost of crime” that would make the ammunition so costly as to prevent many from purchasing and shooting on a regular basis.

This all concerns me very much and I do not disregard it. I will still purchase guns and complete my required mandated government registration form or whatever you want to call it. I will also purchase used guns as long as the government allows it to be so. I hopefully will not be asleep at the PC when my civil rights are called into question. I hope no one else is either but it takes teamwork. I think most of the ODT crew has a watchful eye out for our best interest. As always, strength is in numbers.

One last thing, you can legally buy and own a fully automatic M16/AR15. It's totally legal, now go out actually try to buy one. Our rights will not fall in one fatal swoop but rather with time and vision.

I think folks who are paranoid about the gov't coming to take their guns need a dose of reality. In 2004, it was estimated that there are over 85 million gun owners in America who possess over 250 million guns. That is "known" gun possession. The real number is closer to over 50% of U.S. households most likely own one, but the gov't cannot obtain solid statistics on it (which right there should tell you a door to door confiscation is going to be damn near impossible).

Now, those of you who are uber paranoid, please tell me how in the world do you think our gov't is ever going to have the resources to go door to door, check backgrounds, gun purchases, confiscate weapons etc.....because if it ever came down to that, we'd be under Marshal Law and our military and most police resources would be tied up. I mean, you're talking about a gov't that can't even balance it's own checkbook and you somehow think they'll check millions and millions of households, door to door? ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously, some people need their heads checked. Stop watching Red Dawn, lay off the Mountain Dew for a few days, come out of your bunker and take a deep breath of fresh air. The way some people act all paranoid about it, it makes me wonder if they're mentally stable enough to be a gun owner in the first place.

Last edited:
Which states require ammunition purchases to be recorded and which states require you to have a permit in order to buy ammunition?

Furthermore, Illinois and Massachusetts both require a permit in order purchase ammunition as well as firearms. These permits, called firearm identification card (FOID), must be presented at the time of purchase to legally acquire firearms or ammunition. The application for a FOID card must be made with the proper law enforcement authority or organization, and each applicant is subject to pass a criminal background check before being eligible to receive the permit.

http://gun.laws.com/ammunition/ammunition-specific-laws

I have bought and sold many guns so going to a gun shop to pick up 4473's that I have filled out won't do much good. I may or may not still have the gun they are looking for.

So, I just bought a new gun and filled out "the form". My question is, do I have to fill that form out every time I buy a new gun?
Also, if I get a carry permit, does that bypass me having to fill out the form?

Last edited:
So, I just bought a new gun and filled out "the form". My question is, do I have to fill that form out every time I buy a new gun?
Also, if I get a carry permit, does that bypass me having to fill out the form?

You must fill out the form everytime you buy a gun from an FFL.

You will still fill out the form, the FFL just won't have to call in the check on the phone, so it takes less time for you.

I don't think "the form" matters much.

It would take very little surveillance to figure out what you have. People wouldn't even have to watch you-just pull a record of packages delivered to you your address and you would tell on yourself by the ammo and accessories you have ordered.

It is very difficult to live "off the grid" these days. About the only way to do such a thing would be to live in a cabin way back in the woods like Ted Kaczynsky did. Of course, "the form" would never have stopped him anyhow. I don't think he even owned a gun.

The main thing to be careful of is who you sell to. Don't sell to anyone out of state (without going thru and FFL,) or anyone who you suspect may be a convicted felon. I actually know a guy who had a neighbor who identified himself as "a convicted felon" try and talk him into "loaning him a rifle" to hunt with. I always thought that was some kind of setup. Don't fall for stuff like that-and you should have no problems.

I think it is wise to make a bill of sale when you sell a gun. Just put something in there where the buyer affirms that he is legally able to own a gun, not a felon and such, and it seems to me that you would be covered.

Back
Top Bottom