• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tire Problem. HELP!!!

hjblwme

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
Today while doing the service on my motorcycle I looked at my rear tire and saw what appears to be splits in the tread. I have never seen anything like this before and wanted to see if anyone here has. What are your thoughts and solutions. I have already arranged to get the tire replaced but was curious as to what may have caused this.
IMG_0001.jpg

It is like this all the way around. There are "splits" in the tread and in the grooves between the tread. I had this tire installed in November of '13 and have put 16K miles on it since then. There is still plenty of good tread on it, so I am rather upset that it seems I have some sort of defective tire.

It is a Dunlop D407.

Looks like seperation....check the date code on the tire. Just because you bought it new doesn't mean it was "new". Could have been an old tire possibly dry rotted on you.
I thought about that, but there is nothing to indicate dry rot. My bike is either being ridden or in the garage. The other problem with that theory is that it seems to be in a line all the way around.

Its dry rot. It sat on a shelf years before it was sold and the uv rays made the cords split. Your lucky your not laying upside down against another vehicle looking at the treads on your back while the ENT takes your vitals. I bought a new set of Dunlops for my Goldwing and the same thing happened to the tires.

Back
Top Bottom